Book of the Week: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

We remove Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance – Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem! from the list and replace it with The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress: it was almost going to be Escape from Hell, but this update reminded me of the Heinlein book, which is easily one of my top twenty favorites.

• matt says:

Is it any better then “Starship Troopers”? Thats the only one of his that I’ve read and didn’t care for the writing style in it.

“Better” is a hard call: the style is definitely different, and TMiaHM is just a different type of novel than ST. ST was originally designed to be a juvenile (technical term for a book for teenagers, not a judgment call); TMiaHM is very definitely a hard science fiction novel, and a good one. Some of the more interesting aspects of the book are the dialect and social customs of the Loonies, or inhabitants of the Moon; Heinlein went to some trouble to make up something plausible that reflected both the original origins of the inhabitants and the special circumstances under which they lived. That being said, the two books do go into some detail about the societies in which the heroes are living, so if you didn’t like that in ST you may not like it in TMiaHM.

Half the people that we mutually know probably have a copy, so I’d suggest that you borrow one from one of them and read a chapter or two. 🙂

• Matt says:

Some of the things I didn’t like in ST were the flashbacks, the way he tried to connect the world to his plot, the bug attack was implied to be reasonless, and Rico never came across as a real person to me.

That being said I will try TMiaHM.

You might be all right, then. The only thing that might give you problems is the second one, and it’s a lot less overt in this book.

• Matt says:

The movie is better anyway.

Dude. Surely you were at the house when they made me drink vodka until I agreed to watch that movie.

• Matt says:

Ok, How about the animated series then?

Actually haven’t seen it; I’ve heard that it did not suck, though.

• Skip says:

Well, Starship Troopers is certainly better than Starship Troopers 2, with the zombies.

As far as The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, great book, story of a Libertarian Socialist revolution. It’s plausible, because it’s ruled by a dictator, but only in secret.

• matt says:

Decent CGI, deep stories, more planets, more types of bugs, Skinnies and powered armor. They wern’t afraid to kill named character either. I recomend it!

• Cameron says:

Side note (Since I am late to this): I got my hands on the 80s anime of Starship Troopers which is apparently more faithful to the book than…errr….the Peter Verhoven flick that shared the same name. Will let you know if it is worthwhile.