- Looks like Harry Teague (NM-02) has outlived his usefulness: the DCCC is pulling funds out of his race and throwing them at Martin Heinrich’s in NM-01. This is probably due to Teague’s recent fading in the polls against challenger Steve Pearce, which is apparently being helped along by revelations about Teague’s canceling of his own private employees’ health care plans. It’s also interesting that the DCCC thinks that Heinrich needs the help; apparently Jon Barela is worrying them more than they let on. Cook rates this race as [Toss-Up, and NM-01 as Leans Democratic.]
The DCCC has also picked four new races to try to build its latest firewall:
- AZ-07’s Raul Grijalva. Ruth McClung is the challenger, and a strong one*. Cook rating: Likely Democratic.
- CA-[20’s Jim Costa]. Andy Vidak is the challenger. Cook rating: Lean Democratic.
- IA-02’s [Dave] Loebsack. Mariannette Miller-Meeks is the challenger. Cook rating: Likely Democratic.
- TN-04’s Lincoln Davis. Dr. Scott DesJarlais is the challenger. Cook rating: Lean Democratic.
As Hotline noted in the link above, the last three races were not considered particularly risky before now, although all of them are currently considered not-safe; that they’re getting money now while a plethora of seats that are at risk for the Democrats don’t is fairly significant. And no, it’s not because they have the money to spare. If they did, they wouldn’t be abandoning Harry Teague.
Moe Lane (crosspost)
*I have an interview with her that still needs to be processed; a medical emergency on my end unfortunately delayed it.
[UPDATE: Maybe I’m more ill than I thought. Far too many name errors in this post for my liking. – ML]