Oct
2011

#OWS The female equivalent of a sports car and a leather jacket?

I got sent this with the laconic comment “Midlife crisis much?”  I wasn’t going to throw up – choice of words not really deliberate – another OWS post, but this one I can’t help but post:

A married mother of four from Florida ditched her family to become part of the raggedy mob in Zuccotti Park — keeping the park clean by day and keeping herself warm at night with the help of a young waiter from Brooklyn.

[snip]

She swears she’s not romantically involved with her new friend.

I’m going to be merciful and not publish this woman’s name. Please don’t do that in comments, either: her kids are going to collectively have a high enough therapist bill as it is.

• Cameron says:

So basically, she’s in a long-term adolescent phase. Kind of sad that her family has to endure it.

• Sandy Daze says:

Cindy Sheehan wannabe. Arrested adolescence. Pathetic.

• Ryne says:

“Military people leave their families all the time, so why should I feel bad?”

Sitting in a drum circle with your new waiter boyfriend, or guarding liberty… yeah, I can see the similarities there. Nice to know that she’s got her priorities straight.

• qixlqatl says:

Her sign says “free empathy”; does that mean that she believes empathy is being held captive, or that I could have been getting paid for it all these years? (Please tell me it’s the former, because if I have spent 30ish years not getting paid for something freely given which has an actual market value, I’m going to cry….)

• Jbird says:

I kinda wish my job had an “empathy table”. . . .That said, she is vile.

• UtahMan says:

Kind of you to worry about four her kids, Moe. From her comments in the article – she sure doesn’t. “Love of many shall wax cold…”

I try not to be too gloom-and-doomish, but some days it’s hard.

• steve l says:

since she needs a pseudonym, “Lucy Jordan” would be a good fit