The Hobbit Trailer.

Via @IMAO_.

Please, God, don’t let it suck.

PS: It’s not out until December 2012.  Dammit.

• xander says:

Peter Jackson has done right by us so far.

• Bigfire says:

martin freeman looks about right as a wee bit stucked and mildly discontent Bilbo.

Oh, they haven’t gotten to part 2. I want to see how they renders Smaug.

• Dave says:

Well PJ screwed up Faramir and the Frodo/Sam/Gollum on the stairs. But most of the rest was amazingly well done.

So what’s Galadriel doing in here? I’m afraid someone realized that there were no women in The Hobbit and tried to “fix it”. Which doesn’t bode well.

• BigFire says:

Oh, goodie, they’re having Benedict Cumberbatch (the actor playing Sherlock Holmes in Sherlock) voicing Smaug. This should be fun. (and for bonus, Martin Freeman plays Dr. John Watson in Sherlock).

• countrydoc says:

Thorin seems very tall for a dwarf. Was he so in the book? I don’t recall.

I am with Xander on this one, Peter Jackson has not done us wrong so far. My only real beef was when they left out The Battle of Bywater, but I honestly can understand why they left it out. The first Hobbit looks good, can’t wait.

• […] thanks, Hollywood, for giving me such a tasty trailer for The Hobbit, then making me wait a whole stinking year for […]

• Rob Crawford says:

ISTR that Thorin was a bit taller than the others. I think even the Rankin-Bass version had that. He *was* royalty, after all, and the others…. not so much.
    (And I hold out little hope for whoever voices Smaug. The Rankin-Bass version had Richard Boone doing the voice. Who, you ask? TV’s “Have Gun Will Travel” Paladin.)

• Doug Stewart says:

That sentence alone should let you know why Jackson is PERILOUSLY close to being Dead To Me.

• BCochran1981 says:

I have GOT to stop reading your damn blog at work Moe. Now I have to sit here all day wanting to watch the trailer and not being able to. *grumble

• Doug Stewart says:

Thorin is portrayed by Richard Armitage, the scenery-chewer that played the Sheriff of Nottingham in the started-decent-and-then-went-downhill-holy-crap-why-are-there-beret-wearing-female-assassins-in-Crusades-era-England BBC “Robin Hood” series, so, well, I’m going to reserve judgement on that casting until I see it.

…Still fuming about GALADRIEL. In THE HOBBIT. Where she DOESN’T BELONG.

Calm down, Doug. Jackson is also using “The Quest of Erebor” in Unfinished Tales and Gandolf’s finding of Thrain (Thorin Oakenshield’s father) during his mission at Dol Guldur. Galadriel always hated Dol Guldur and so, if I remember correctly, she pushed Gand[a]lf to that quest.

• BigFire says: