Let’s review the evidence:
- The Broncos go 1-4 in their first five games, putting them in the cellar and making it look completely unlikely that they’d make the playoffs.
- They bring in Tim Tebow, a devout Christian and controversial choice. For example, lot of people keep noting that he can’t throw passes.
- Tebow wins one!
- Tebow loses one.
- Tebow then wins six in a row! The words ‘Divine intervention’ and ‘No f*cking WAY’ are often heard in the background, as typically Tebow keeps winning by somehow ripping victory from the jaws of defeat in the fourth quarter.
- The NFL then apparently figures out how to beat the Broncos, because they lose the next three in a row. Incidentally, Tebow’s passing game improves throughout this. But, oh well, 8-8 record.
- But wait! That last loss doesn’t deny them a playoff shot,
because there’s a wild card slot, and another team lost, too![UPDATE: I’ve since been told that the actual situation was a bit more complicated, involving three-way ties.] The Broncos are still alive!
- And… facing the 12-4 Pittsburgh Steelers.
- The Broncos take the lead!
- The Steelers make it up in the fourth quarter, making the game tied!
- And… Tebow – the guy who cannot throw passes – wins the game in 11 seconds in overtime with a pass and run that takes it all the way across the field.
Frankly, at this point we are already getting a good sports movie out of all of this. I can’t imagine what the football world is going to react to the Broncos getting any further in the playoffs.