Jan
2012

Sure you can do it!

There’s even a free hint.

Q YDNWYK VS WIK KTQK QO WXXINVDY VS BWVOB KW XTQUUDOBD

CDJWXYQK QUUMSWO SXTHQYKP VO KTD NQ-13 NYVJQYM.  KTVS VS

BYDQK ODHS – LWY YDNIEUVXQOS – EIK V CWO’K HQOK KW CW KWW

JIXT KW CVSXWIYQBD KTD BYWIN LYWJ XWJNUDKDUM JIXAVOB IN

KTD CDJWXYQKS’ QUYDQCM SUVJ XTQOXDS WL KQAVOB EQXA KTD

TWISD WL YDNYDSDOKQKVGDS, SW V QJ BWVOB KW DOXYMNK

KTVS JDSSQBD.  WEGVWISUM, VL MWI QYD YDQCVOB VK KTDO MWI

AOWH KTQK VK HQS Q LQVYUM SKYQVBTKLWYHQYC XVNTDY,

QOMHQM.

(QCC Q ‘TKKN’ QK KTD EDBVOOVOB QOC Q ‘TKJ’ QK KTD DOC WL

KTD KDRK EDUWH LWY KTD UVOA.)

25MDQYSWLNYWBYQJJVOB.XWJ.LIO.XVNTDYS

• Doug Stewart says:

It’s not ROT-13, nor ROT-17.

Hmm.

Dude. I’m not going to make it THAT easy. This is meant to be at the level of the Crypto-quote thing that used to be in the paper when I was growing up; so none of the games that people can play with even simple ciphers. 🙂

• Doug Stewart says:

Also: brain slugs or Cthulhu?

• xander_drax says:

Anybody from OWS running for office has got to be good news for us.

(decoded in about 5 min with paper and pen.)

• Neil Stevens says:

I’d given up when I couldn’t reconcile NQ-13 with anything I knew that fit that pattern. i thought it must be a Vigenere cipher or something, and while that’s not hard to break, it was more effort than I was willing to put in.

Then the comments made me realize what it was, I tried again, and the word *after* that broke it wide open.

• Loved it. Great fun and helped me stave off the after-lunch drowsiness!

• qixlqatl says:

I found NQ-13 a dead giveaway, in this context, especially since the value for Q I could establish immediately. I started doing the daily cryptoquote after I read “The Adventure of the Dancing Men” when I was 8 or 9 and continued until I could read them like clear text about a third of the time. At that point, I figured I had probably reprogrammed my brain past the point of normal function….
    Yeah, pretty sure that ‘normal function’ thing is gone by the boards. 😉