- Ron Paul would like to have some influence over the GOP. Particularly since his son’s now a US Senator, and probably will be one for a while.
- Ron Paul cannot get a direct position of power, because when it comes to foreign policy he’s nuts. That means the best that he can hope for is influence.
- Ron Paul cannot hope for influence with Rick Santorum. Paul is rumored to be somewhat… well, I hear that he’s got libertarian leanings; and Santorum despises libertarians*.
- Ron Paul cannot hope for influence with Newt Gingrich. Gingrich will find it impossible to tolerate Paul’s commentary on foreign policy for any length of time.
- Ron Paul and Mitt Romney are actually friends, and Romney would very much like to have support from a portion of the GOP base that’s, well, enthusiastic.
- And there aren’t any more viable candidates at this point.
So. Seems obvious enough. Paul needs access; Romney needs energy. Deals may be made, under such circumstances.
*To be fair, they’re happy to return the favor.