Today is Cinco De Mayo…

…and to all the Mexican-Americans out there who are watching in ever-increasing horrified bemusement at the way that a relatively unremarkable Mexican holiday is rapidly turning into a bizarre Anglo celebration of tequila-driven overindulgence… let me say this, as a mostly purebred Irish-American: welcome to assimilation, muchachos. Here’s your accordion*.

Look, this is what they’ve turned St. Patrick’s Day into, OK?

You folks are getting off easy.

*Yes, yes, I know: Tejano music.  I was making a Far Side reference.

• Spegen says:

Are you saying America is like the Borg? Resistance is futile, you will be assimilatef and you diversity turned into easily marketed cliches.

I do feel sorry for you, only one day. At least us Germans have a few weeks of excused drunkeness every September/October.

• JeffV says:

As I think about it, I’m surprised I haven’t seen my Dutch heritage turned into a day of recreational pot use somewhere. The Hash Bash up in Ann Arbor, MI has no Dutch tie-in at all. Maybe the country needs an Amsterdam Day of Absinthe and deviant sex….maybe not.

• Spegen says:

Hey JeffV:

There will be no tulips left for Tulip Time this year over in Holland MI. Maybe they should use your ideas instead.

• JeffV says:

Yes, spring is too early this year, well, there’s always clog dancing.

• JeffV says:

(I thought about mentioning tulip time, but that doesn’t really count as an assimilation holiday, since its mostly run by actual Dutch-Americans)

• Most people have no idea how St. Patrick’s Day started. It used to be a militant parade of Irish in the US, showing the number of Irish that could be talked into rioting if the nativist Americans didn’t stop discriminating against them.

Think of a violent version of the recent “We are not Illegal!” marches. In fact, they were pretty much exactly what the Illegal march organizers wanted their marches to be. They were a public show of power and solidarity of an oppressed minority. It’s actually a mark of how well that the Irish assimilated that it’s now a “let’s all drink green beer because everyone’s Irish” holiday.

As a person who is half Italian (the other half is recently arrived Scottish) I am sure glad that the Italians didn’t end up with a holiday.

Maybe it is because I live in the south, but I like Cinco De Mayo more than St. Patrick’s Day.

Site by Neil Stevens | Theme by