May
2012

…They’re remaking Total Recall?

Seriously, why?

I’m not even offended; I just don’t get the point.  As Do Gooder Press notes, this is clearly not “We Can Remember It For You Wholesale” – which is fine; I liked the story, but it’s not really good action movie fodder.  And we already have a perfectly serviceable action movie called Total Recall.  Why bother doing a remake?

• HeartbreakRidge says:

You mean aside from an excuse to watch Kate Beckinsale and Jessical Biehl? *pause* Well, other than that, I got nothing.

• Jbird says:

Comment: The original was kinda fun but it could definitely have been done better.

Question: will they bring back the 3-breasted woman?

• Patrick Thomas says:

The writers out in Hollywood have lost all original thought. I love Piers Anthony, they should do the Tarot series. But I think the only thing they do is comic book action movies or remakes of old TV shows, with cheesy homage a la Brady Bunch.

• Finrod says:

Yeah, and they’re re-making Spider-Man too, for some incomprehensible reason.

At least there was a Reason to make Incredible Hulk when Hulk had just been made a few years before: Hulk was dull as dishwater.

• Rob Crawford says:

Why do they do remakes? Because there’s likely not a single person in the film industry who reads, but they’ve all seen films. So they remake what they’ve seen before.
    So we get yet another super hero “reboot” instead of a Ringworld movie. Or a parody version of a classic TV show instead of “The Deed of Paksenarrion”.

• BCochran1981 says:

Hey Moe, I hear they’re bringing in Lucas for character development and as a CGI consultant. That should make it awesome…right?

I have to agree, this is unnecessary. However the original is not enjoyable to watch highly edited on TV. I don’t know, maybe they are doing this for a PG-13 crowd. Notice that there is no blood in the theatrical trailer.

• Murgatroyd says:

The writers out in Hollywood have lost all original thought.
    I’ve said this before, in the discussion thread about the re-re-re-remake of The Three Musketeers, but this seems like a good opportunity to say it again:

Harlan Ellison tells the story of, back in the Seventies, talking with a director who had optioned Stranger in a Strange Land. He knew the encounter wouldn’t go well when the director waxed enthusiastic about all the “improvements” he was going to make to the story. Ellison had to leave the room when the director admitted, “Well no, I haven’t actually read the book — but my girlfriend has, and she’s got some really great ideas!”