Jun
2012

Today is the day I become Middle-Aged Man.

Today is the day that I put on The Shirt.

I’m not going to pretend, folks: that’s the shirt a middle-aged guy wears. I’m comfortable with admitting it. It’s just part of the Circle of Life. Now I just need to get a gas grill…

• Dan Collins says:

Gobble gobble! One of us!

• James Joyner says:

I’ve had shirts like that and a gas grill for years! Get a Weber–they cost more but they last for years.

• […] Moe Lane dons 'The Shirt.' You know The Shirt: it's the one Matt LeBlanc wore for the last 9 seasons of […]

• countrydoc says:

Well, I hope you have an attractive pair of polyester pants to go with it.

• Spegen says:

Embrace the shirt, it will set you free. Put on some Buffett music and drink a tall one.

Highly recommend Weber grills, always have worked well for and are built to last.

• JeffV says:

You now have the freedom to wear dark socks and sandals, enjoy.

• Brian Swisher says:

You really don’t need to worry…not until you start wearing the waistline of your trousers about mid-chest level…

• Phil Smith says:

It’s time to put it on.

• Wombat-socho says:

Agree on the Weber, but really – you ought to roll with the charcoal. Harder to start, certainly, but you can do some serious smoking with charcoal. Mmmm, smoked turkey. 🙂

• DanB says:

I’m with Spegen and Wombat… Embrace the shirt, but stick with charcoal. I can see no justification for a gas grill, although I do have a place in my heart for the gas accessories, like the steamers and the turkey fryers. Those can help you to an amazing Cajun weekend!

• Phil Smith says:

Charcoal is not difficult to start. Jusy buy one of these:

That specific model, not any of the other similar ones. There are cheaper kinds, but you’ll replace them more frequently.

• Catseye says:

Looks like one of Weird Al’s shirts. I also concur with Phil, Wombat and DanB, I’ve cooked a big Turkey and a Ham on the large charcoal grills, Weber’s of course. Do remember to clean them out the meat grease and Charcoal dust will collect and I’ve seen them destroy a charcoal grill when they catch on fire. Gas Grills are just to limited in what they can cook and temperature control is iffy especially as it ages. I know, I have both the charcoal is quicker and tastes better.

• qixlqatl says:

Nooooooooo!!! Do not succumb to the siren song of the gas grill!!

• bombaybruce says:

happy birthday!

• Trent says:

I remember when my Dad got “The Shirt”. Almost brings a tear to my eye….remembering the death of fashion