Sep
2012

#RSRH I was really going to rip into this Nancy Pelosi House nonsense…

…until I realized that she was just going for shock value, in order to try to get back some relevance.  Seriously: if somebody is telling you that the Democrats are going to retake the House this year, you need to make him or her sit down and show you the races, show why the Democrat will win… and show you why all those races that the Republicans are scheduled to win aren’t relevant.

Look, I expect the Democrats to gain seats.  In the single digits, because they’re going to be offset by a bunch of lost seats, too.  Anybody thinks that’s wrong, they’re going to have to catalog the state of the 435 House races.  This can be done – see here, here, and here – but note that those guys are all more or less saying the same thing that I am.

• tnfriendofcoal101368 says:

It is no shock when Nancy Pelosi lies or utters the dingbatty things she always says, no shocking would be Nancy Pelosi ending her estranged relationship with the truth and insightfulness.

• jetty says:

Moe, I agree with you that the House will only move a few seats in either direction. However, what about the Senate? Are we just hoping for the best, or are Team Romney, the RNC, NRSC and certain state governors working together to retake the Senate?

• Shawn says:

I personally doubt the Dems will move the needle in the House at all. As far as the Senate goes, I’d say flipping it is a 60/40 proposition, at this point. There are too many paths to reach 51 for the GOP for the Dems to hold it off, unless something dramatic changes. And it ain’t going to be in this Abortionpalooza convention.

• Just Dave says:

Here’s the RCP for the various senate races. They’ve got it 46-46, with 8 toss ups. 3 of the toss ups (MA, CT, MI) are in pretty blue states, although, of course, MA is Brown-vs-Warren, so that’s certainly not impossible.

• jbird says:

Nancy has been saying that for months. I assume she thinks that if she repeats it enough that it will come true.

If the GOP don’t take the Senate, @Shawn, it will be because people like Todd Akin decided that losing on principles beat winning on .. other principles.

Who knows, Akin may manage to replace McCaskill as the most loathed Senator from Missouri.

• Lady Penguin says:

Acat, I sure wouldn’t put it all on Akin if we don’t get back the Senate. Shouldn’t be in this boat to begin with. We’ve been letting Dem Senators have “easy” seats in very Red states, like North Dakota and South Dakota.

And Norm Coleman in Minnesota walked away from a fight we should have had. Republicans are responsible for their losses, they give in, back up, and walk away much too easily.

Maybe this time, seeing how radical and Left the Democrat Socialist Party has become, our side will fight a little harder.