Sep
2012

Budweiser wants to appeal to more young drinkers?

Have they thought of maybe brewing beer that doesn’t suck?

[Reading article]

…Apparently not.

(Via Instapundit)

PS: Yes, I am a beer snob.  Just putting that right out there on the table, so that everybody is aware and we can just move on with life.

• qixlqatl says:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say Bud actively sucks. It doesn’t really do much of anything, taste-wise. Enough of ’em will get you hammered, at any rate.

• Jbird says:

A lot of really good beers are now widely available both at Podunk liquor stores and out of the way bars all the way up to gastro pubs and mega-sized stores. Why would anyone willingly drink Bud Heavy? I much prefer regionally brewed beer. Maybe in 20 years Budweiser can make a comeback as the kitchy beer of hipsters and those looking for a cheap buzz like PBR and Natty Boh (both of which I prefer to Bud).

No Moe, their beers do indeed, suck ass. I don’t drink beer anymore, I drink vodka (when I do drink).

• Trent says:

Budweiser doesn’t make beer, they make swill

• Shawn says:

Budweiser sucks. It’s swill. But then, so is every other mass-produced pasteurized American malt beverage as well.

Craft beer is the only beer worth drinking. Now let me go get my Mother’s Brewing Company Old School Octoberfest.

• Skip says:

It is possible to get a decent tasting Budweiser – however, you have to go to Budvar, in the Czech Republic, to do so, where the original is still brewed.

• Shawn says:

Skip, that’s true. Of course, Anheuser-Busch, after stealing and corrupting the recipe, then turned around and sued the original Budweis town brewery to get it to change ITS name.

Classless as well as tasteless.

• Dan says:

I’m not a huge beer snob, I just make it a rule to never drink beer I can read through.

It’s worked for me so far.

• Doc Holliday says:

Budweiser American Ale is pretty good, and usually a buck or two less than the micros. Problem is that it is very hard to find for many, I guess it did not go over too well. My guess is beer snobs just didn’t like the idea of drinking a Budweiser and those that drink craft beers don’t like the real beer taste.

• Spegen says:

American ale is not bad, ironic that it was released after bud was no longer american

• Doug Stewart says:

Dan:
    You’re missing some great weissbiers then.

Also, what does Yuenling count as, or Shiner for that matter? Neither are “micro” but both kick the tar out of all other mass-produced American beers.

• Rob Crawford says:

As beer, Budweiser is a pretty bad saki.
    (Am I the only one who tastes the rice sugar in American beer?)

• Doc Holliday says:

delete the word “craft” and replace with “macro” in my last post.

btw Rob, watch out for some of the Euro beers too. Stella Artois uses corn, but they call it maize to confuse us, heh.

• Kresh says:

Funny, when I saw the article (somewheres else) I thought the same thing as Moe.

• Weyoun42 says:

Bell’s beers are my personal favorites. They make fantastic IPA’s (Two Hearted, Hopslam, The Oracle). I know they’re somewhat available around the DC area. I mean, I live in Kalamazoo, MI where the brewery is and I can try their experimental stuff at the tap-house, but I’m sure that hasn’t clouded my judgment at all.

• Weyoun42 says:

As for Bud, when I’m poor my go-to beer is PBR. Not because of the hipster factor, but because while the flavor may not be great, at least it’s there.

• Paul says:

Budweiser is the number one selling beer in….Ireland?

I read somewhere that the Jimmy Carter administration relaxed the law on home brewing which led to the microbrew revolution.

I guess he go one thing right

• DaveP. says:

I’m just amazed that I can buy Genny Cream Ale down here in NC these days.

• Shawn says:

Paul,

Carter didn’t just relax home-brewing laws, he legalized it for non-profit purposes. And yes, it was the ONE thing Jimmy did right. But hey, he had a brother who wanted to be a brewer, so he had an incentive. 😉