Nov
2012

QotD, …The Obama Administration Doesn’t Have A Fiscal Cliff Plan YET? edition.

Be afraid.

White House officials are in advanced internal discussions about a plan to replace the sweeping spending cuts set to begin in January with a smaller, separate package of targeted spending cuts and tax increases, people familiar with the planning said.

Be very, very afraid.  Because that statement translates to President Barack Obama is going into ‘negotiations’ today with no actual plan for avoiding sequestration.  Surely the administration knew that this issue might be coming up, yes?

• mbecker908 says:

Would it be too much to hope for the Republicans to say something like, “Mr President, we’ve put forward dozens of bills to deal with the financial crisis. You refuse to force Harry Reid to act on them. So, show us what you’ve got.”

Yeah, it probably is.

• jbird says:

The D’s never want to come out with any specifics. This is why medicare and social security reform hasn’t happened yet. They just wait for Republicans to announce their negotiating position and then the D’s demagogue it to death in the media. They seem to enjoy the perks of power without ever wanting to deal with the responsibilities of being in charge.

It probably is, but .. at this point, if Boehner has half a brain, the “do-nothing” approach is best.
      Let *them* go first for a change.

• jbird says:

They haven’t had a plan the last 4 years to deal with any of the nation’s finances, they just know they don’t like our plans (to paraphrase Timmy Geitner).

• tnfriendofcoal101368 says:

The Administration’s negotiation tactic is to essentially shoot the hostages because a 1.6 trillion dollar tax increase is actually worse than the sequester. I am guessing Harry Reid’s conference is freaking out because the tax increase and defense cuts will be on them.

Who’s going to keep it on Harry Reid & Co., tnfriend? No offense, but .. Lincoln was a Republican.
      This cat is still taking the “let it all burn” position… GOP should do *NOTHING* and let sequestration happen.

• jbird says:

emotionally I’m in the let it burn camp, but then I realize I haven’t yet purchased my “off the grid” 40 acre hunting lodge/ranch in Wyoming yet.

That’s my problem why, jbird?
          (cheshire grin)
          Okay, more seriously. I know I posted it before, but .. as of this year, a majority of American voters have no personal memory of Jimmy Carter.
          It isn’t going to be pretty, but .. as a country, I think we need to burn off some of the dead and failed ideology that’s been left standing. Let it burn.

• jbird says:

can I come stay on your 40 acre ranch? My kids don’t take up that much room (their stuff does though).

Don’t have a 40 acre ranch either, jbird. Predicting it’s either not going to come to that, or it’s going to go there so fast even a ranch won’t help.

• zamoose says:

We don’t have a plan, we just know we don’t like yours.

• Darin_H says:

President Ladies Tee voting “present” again? Say it ain’t so!

• nighttwister says:

Sure he has a plan. “I won — again.”