Jan
2013

I do not say that Jack Lew’s signature disqualifies him for Treasury Secretary.

I am saying that it’s… well, look.

Jack-lew-signature-dear-god

(via AOL)

Seriously?  When New York Magazine says that something is a problem for a Democrat, then something is a problem for a Democrat.  That’s maybe going to go on our dollar bills if we’re not careful… or if Jack Lew doesn’t learn how to write his name out legibly.  I suggest some emergency Palmer penmanship therapy.

(H/T: Jim Geraghty)

Moe Lane (crosspost)

PS: Yes, I know, I know: this is an absurd thing to judge a Treasury Secretary nominee on.  But… dear God, look at it again.

Jack-lew-signature-dear-god

That is going to be op-ed fodder for the next four years, if Jack Lew is confirmed as Treasury Secretary and does not learn how to write his name out in the intervening period.  That is a softball that is going to be lobbed at the editorial cartoonists.  And it’s a fixable problem.

PPS: Annnnd the Washington Post uses this opportunity to compare Jack Lew’s ‘loopy’ signature to… Lady Diana’s.

(pause)

This will not end well.

• jbird says:

My signature is a tad illegible as well, so I shall not judge.

I have never understood this “illegible signature” …thing people have. I sign my signature very legible and one time someone commented that I had an odd signature. I asked them how so. He showed me his signature and with a few stocks, gave me something that look like a elektrokardiogramm.

• jbird says:

mine became illsgible when I had a job where I signed for things all the time. Switching to a scribble saved me precious seconds.

Well .. the goal, Gator, is for it to be identifiable *and* unique .. hard for someone else to do on the fly.
      Mine qualifies – the first letter is recognizable, the rest goes quite wrong…
      Makes it *very* easy to see where someone else has signed things for me, eh?
      … not that the pfy behind the counter actually *checks* my signature very often …

• Finrod says:

My cursive writing was always horrible (in 5th grade I got an E in handwriting; E = failing work but it’s the best you can do), so it should shock no one that my signature has been a semi-random illegible scrawl for decades now. It still (usually) looks better than Lew’s, though.

• Freddie Sykes says:

That is perfect signature for Obama’s Secretary of the Treasury. By the time they get finished, that will be the number of zeros needed to be added to a dollar to buy a loaf of bread.

• Herp McDerp says:

When asked for a response to criticism of his signature, Mr. Lew replied “Goo … gooo!”

• Jeffstag says:

Eh, I think it’s fine. Better than just an X anyway. Are we sure he’s not just trying to get his pen to work? As an odd side note, he’s doing clockwise loops. When I try and do that it seems unnatural. Counter-clockwise loops seem right and are what I do if I’m not concentrating.

• Brian Swisher says:

This is veritable copperplate compared to some doctors’ signatures I’ve seen…

• Darin_H says:

His sig is in Comic-Sans font? On purpose?