Mar
2013

And so begin the days of Sequester.

As for public reaction: well, remember Y2K? – Because I don’t think that enough people in the current administration do.

And ain’t that a shame.

• Catseyes says:

This should be funny “What happens when the disaster doesn’t occur”. Oh and I noticed someones been arrested for following Sheriff Joe’s advice and firing a shotgun thru the door, Biden’s off the hook though he did it before Biden spoke.

*looks out window* Hey, the sky is falling here! Wait, no, that was just a leaf.

Leaf? ‘s clearly a snowflake! Get yer eyes checked, Gator!
      Seriously, the local services seem unaffected, thus far. The guy down the street still has his building permit, and the workers are still operating power tools outdoors .. way too early.. and the city plow rumbled past a bit ago as well. The sky is staying firmly in place.

I live in Florida. We don’t have snow. Just leaves and allergies.

Ah. I’m in the shadow of Chicago .. it’s a balmy 30something today.. and the leaves are long gone!

• tnfriendofcoal101368 says:

I am East Tennessee with snow topped hills and a nice 20 degree breeze to keep you cold. Fortunately, I live in the valley and well our snow isn’t sticking.

• jbird says:

I hear there will be fire & brimstone showers this afternoon.

• jbird says:

NPR had changed it’s tune this morning. Effects will not be felt right away (no poisoned meat…yet), but the 8% cut to R&D will leave the US trailing China long, long term!! Sounded like a fairly desperate attempt to cover their backside.

Considering it’s a 2-ish% cut to spending, I don’t understand why the federal workers are rumored to be taking a 20% pay cut. Where I work, the Feds are cutting their grant payouts between 10-20% as well… allegedly.

• Crawford says:

Huh? China’s “R&D” is conducted by stealing from the rest of the world. How could they ever pull ahead of the US?

• jbird says:

NPR logic, I don’t know.

I am reminded of the end of one horrible Bond* flick or another ..
          Bond picks up a medal from the Soviets for saving Silicon Valley .. because “where would Russian research be without it?”
          * by which I mean “Roger Moore’s Golden Years”

• tnfriendofcoal101368 says:

Everything after Sean Connery and before Daniel Craig is just a bunch of guys trying to imitate Sean Connery and not quite pulling off (Brosnan) or failing horribly (Dalton) or failing in such an embarrassing fashion their children are traumatized (Moore).

• Luke says:

Now how could we not include a link to this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNNiBcU3BR4