Jun
2013

Hey, ever wanted to see what Andrew Sulliva… no, that’s just too cruel to finish.

Still, this is inane:

Is this proof the Virgin Queen was an imposter in drag? Shocking new theory about Elizabeth I unearthed in historic manuscripts

…Her most famous speech, to her troops at Tilbury as the Spanish Armada approached, was cheered to the skies as she roared: ‘I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England, too.’

American author Steve Berry believes Elizabeth could have been telling the literal truth — that she had the heart of a man, because her body was male. He has spent 18 months researching the conspiracy for his novel The King’s Deception, a Dan Brown-style thriller set in 21st-century London.

Please note that I have not provided an Amazon.com link for that. I have SOME standards.

Anyway, I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest that no, it would be effectively impossible for a Sixteenth Century European ruler to go through several decades of active rulership and ritual and NOT have anyone notice that, hey, he was a she*.  I’m sorry, I’m know that I’m treating this with more energy than it warrants, or even the author probably intended; it’s  just that the idea ignores the fishbowl that was the higher status life back then, and is vaguely insulting to women to boot.  And, believe me: the Spanish would have paid through the nose for this information, if it was true.

So, just… NO.  Sorry.

PS: Richard III didn’t kill those kids, by the way. See? I can be a historical crank, too.

*Classical reference.

• Luke says:

There’s a lot less evidence about who killed the princes, than Elizabeth being female.
    Of course, I agree with you in your crankishness. Personally, I blame Buckingham.

• zamoose says:

As my wife put it: this story makes TONS of stuff make sense and wraps the whole thing up into a nice package, which means it’s false, because history is messy and entropic and the simple explanation is almost always wrong.

• Finrod says:

As the old saying goes, for every complex problem there is a simple, easy-to-understand, wrong answer.

• lourae says:

Indeed–more than *vaguely* insulting to women. Thick stripe of misogyny running through this.

I’m of two minds of this theory: It does seem possible, but, honestly, what does it matter? Let sleeping dogs lie. Queen Elizabeth I was a woman, end of story.

• tnfriendofcoal101368 says:

Sounds like this guy has been listening to too many Aerosmith songs…

• JustDave says:

It strains my credulity to imagine that such a deception could be made to work for even a single afternoon. To imagine that they could get some hastily-picked village boy to be a willing participant, and making it work for a lifetime is preposterous.

• midwestconservative says:

Yeah this is just stupid.
    I mean of course Elizabeth was male, how on earth was she capable of ruling a country otherwise?!? (sarc off)
    This book stinks of sexism.

• Crawford says:

Smacks of the “Pope Joan” nonsense.
    Or the “ancient aliens built the pyramids — ALL OF THEM!!!” carp. Easier, apparently, to concoct a world-spanning conspiracy than believe the “inferiors” accomplished something remarkable.