Jun
2013

Well, the good news is that the new computer works.

The bad news is that I cannot in fact access my old hard drive. This is only a mildly frustrating problem – I can eventually get somebody to yank the files I need – but it does mean that I will have to do quite a bit of pulling and yanking and finding stuff that I’ve forgotten that I had installed until the lack bites me on the tuchus.

Still. The new computer has definite advantages. Like USB ports that don’t disintegrate when you look at them funny.

• Darin_H says:

I had to do something with the permission in windows on the old drive to access it when I upgraded. Don’t remember the exact way to do it, but Mr. Google does.

• Aruges says:

So, what rig are you running now? Specs man!

Nothing particularly special: I more or less picked up something that was like my old computer, only a couple of years newer.

• Herp McDerp says:

What’s the reason for the inability to access the old drive? Hardware, like old drive = parallel ATA interface, and new computer = serial ATA? Or software, like password protection? Or just no-worko? Inquiring minds want to know …

The computer just won’t access it even after I had put it in the external hard drive casing. It knows the drive exists, it knows that it’s a hard drive, it just won’t show me the files. It’s either a Windows 8 thing or the drive itself is slagged.

• sicsemperstolidissimum says:

I supposed it would be silly if I suggested bootable linux CDs? They worked for me when doing recovery on windows systems.

• Herp McDerp says:

You don’t even have to use CDs — Ubuntu Linux (and other distros) can run from a USB flash drive. Disk diagnostic software is bundled with Ubuntu, and it’s all free and downloadable from the Web.

Hmm. What do your Windows diagnostics say?

“Hmm. What do your Windows diagnostics say?”

…The magic thinking box will not let me open the smaller magic box and let me get my ghost-music.

• Herp McDerp says:

“Huh. That doesn’t sound too good,” said Mr. Obvious.