Sep
2013

Real quick: Elementary, First Season. Go/No-go?

I’ve got just enough left of the Amazon money (thanks to everybody who uses my site for that, by the way) to pick Elementary: The First Season up. Is it worth it? – I’m a big fan of Lucy Liu, mind you.

And I already saw Sherlock, and the first season of Castle arrives tomorrow (again, thanks).  So no need to recommend either, instead.

• HeartbreakRidge says:

From the pilot, it’s meh and a total travesty as far as a fan of Sherlock canon goes. I couldn’t stand to watch it after that. (and I like both leads otherwise)

• Mark_E says:

It’s awful. Holmes is in recovery, mooching off his dad and constantly fighting with Watson. I think love of the original material is the reason “Sherlock” is such a great show, and it’s notably lacking here.

I’ll recommend you watch the Jeremy Brett BBC series on Netflix. Brett is the best Holmes we ever got and the show does a great job with the old Arthur Conan Doyle stories.

Is this on DVD only? I can’t find it on streaming.

• Mark_E says:

Whoops. Looks like it dropped off their list of streaming shows. *shakes fist at Netflix*

Is there a complete list of shows/movies?

• Mark_E says:

I don’t know if there is one. I just know that all of the Jeremy Brett BBC Sherlock Holmes are no longer available for streaming.
            It’s a real shame, too. Brett was a great Holmes and they eventually did nearly every story and book from Conan Doyle. I think the only one they never did was “His Last Bow”.

• Brian Swisher says:

I’ll certainly second you on the Jeremy Brett/Granada TV Sherlock Holmes series, but I’d stipulate that one should stick to the early seasons – the last couple of seasons suffered from writing decay, and also Mr. Brett was very ill (and looked it), making the show hard to watch…

• phineasfahrquar says:

I like it, but it took a while to grow on me. I’m a big Holmes fan, and I’ve come to see this as a good alt-universe interpretation.

IT’S AWESOME!!!!! I love it! You’ll love it! I’m shocked you haven’t seen it yet. Show is on now.

• qixlqatl says:

Um, the show is pretty good for what it is– a modernist interpretation of Sherlock Holmes. Took a while for it to grow on me, but I like it.

• Kenneth Hite says:

Well, it’s a marked improvement over the Moffatt thing (“A Study in Pink” excepted, which was 97% perfect), but it’s still a CBS procedural at the end of the day.

• jbird says:

Watched 1 episode. Wasn’t impressed. Not even in the same galaxy quality wise as the BBC “Sherlock”.

• johnv2 says:

BBC Sherlock much better IMVHO. Elementary is OK, and it is one of the few shows I watch, albeit sporadically. OTOH, Foyle’s War is Prime-free and excellent.