Oct
2013

Well, that was interesting.

Car battery died – or the starter, or the fan belt, or look I was an English major, OK, so it is a case of the car it does not go vroom when I turn the key, see? – and it turned out we had to tow it.  If you can ever get the opportunity to see a car get towed, do so: it’s very interesting. It’d probably take me about an hour to get the dang thing up on the back*; it took this guy two, three minutes.

So that’s what I was doing tonight.  Getting my car to the shop.  Nothing earthshaking and/or calamitous. Bit of a pain, because the commuting car is a bit cramped for two and two car seats, but that’s so totally a First World Problem.

PS: No, it’s not a financial crisis.  If getting a sudden car problem would result in a financial crisis for the household then I wouldn’t be shaking the tip jar for roleplaying game supplements.

*OK, OK, now that I’ve seen it done it’d probably only take a half hour.

Written by in: Not-politics | Tags:

Pfft. English Majors.

• AndaO says:

Hah! I was a double major: English & Anthropology. That’s two out of the top ten worst majors to have for making a living. (from the last poll I saw)

• Luke says:

Building a sentence isn’t much differently mechanically from building anything else. The English Major excuse is a total cop-out, dude.

• Cameron says:

Hm. So if I had been an English Major, I could have come up with more creative ways to describe getting my face splashed with battery acid from a bulldozer?

• Luke says:

Don’t do that.
        If you do do that, baking soda is your friend.
        But I’m thinking that time spent in a stockyard, on a fishing boat, or in the infantry would be more useful for creative descriptive terms than a degree in English for this specific occasion.

• Cameron says:

Trust me, it wasn’t something that I chose to do of my own free will. On the bright side, it was the cleanest shave I’d had in ages.
          And as a Marine that was part of a Combat Engineering unit, we were just as inventive as the grunts with profanity. Heck, I even stunned a group of them one time.

• Luke says:

Were you out at the Stumps? 🙂 I’ve got a soft spot for Combat Engineers. They helped us dig the third mortar pit of the day one Steel Knight. (Looey had the GPS. You understand.)

• Cameron says:

I’ve been to the Stumps twice. I refer to that place as “Proof positive God hates Marines.”
            Never dug mortar pits, but I dug trenches for the tanks to hide in and a place for the HMMV that one of the grunts was using. Made it clear when he gave me attitude that I could bury him and the vehicle with no one the wiser. 😀
            I’m luckier than most with our Officers. The ones I dealt with had several working synapses and they knew how to run things.

• Darin_H says:

Definitely the caraparticus, those things go out all the time.

• Buffalobob says:

You should have called the geniuses at Apple. They would have told you to check to see it is plugged in, then unplug it, then buy a new one.

• lineholder says:

(snort) You guys really don’t get into cars, do you? I’ve had some experience working on them (replaced universal in rear axle, replaced water pump, replaced starter, rewired when I found dead ground wire…that sort of thing…nothing major like rebuilding an engine)

Hey, I like learning how things work!

Anyway, just stopped by to leave you this, Moe

• Cameron says:

I view my car like I view my computer. I want it to work when I need it. If it doesn’t, I try a few things to correct that. If that doesn’t work, it either goes to the shop or it gets replaced.

• Luke says:

I was once masochistic enough to own a MG. I know a thing or two. As long as that thing or two isn’t controlled by a computer.

• lineholder says:

Sweetest car I’ve ever owned was a ’57 Ford Fairlane, baby-blue coupe. She could really move on the road, and built like a tank.

Not much computer stuff on them when they’re that old.

• JustDave says:

It was probably your battery. It’s actually very simple. Here’s what you need to know:

1. Batteries don’t last forever, or even nearly as long as your car.
    2. When you get a battery, somewhere on it, it should say it’s a 5 year battery (or whatever; 5 years is most common).
    3. Make a note that 5 years from now (assuming you still have the same vehicle), you’ll need to get another battery.
    4. Or, I guess, just wait until this one dies too, and then call a tow truck again (and also hope you’re someplace where having a dead battery doesn’t suck too hard). Your choice.