Feb
2014

Yeah so never mind about that Kindle HD v. HDX thing.

My regular computer just blew up on me.  The question is now, as they say, moot.

God, adulthood sucks.

PS: This would be an excellent time for a “There, there.”

PPS: Damned if I know when regular posting will resume.

• HeartbreakRidge says:

Sorry to hear that Moe, but glad I’d just hit your tipjar!

• Luke says:

There, there.
    That doth sucketh.
    May you findeth good sales and good fortune.

• Aruges says:

This would be the “new” machine you got not too long ago?

If I had the money, I get a local, custom made desk-top with a simple RAID 1 set-up. This way you only get/pay for what you need and if anything happens, then you got someone local to fix/replace your computer.

• Catseyes says:

Many game saves lost I take it?

• Luke says:

Most likely, stories and game information.
      I had to reconstruct a campaign after my oldest accidentally wiped my HD about a year ago. From memory, and a single surviving e-mail.
      I was not amused.

• sicsemperstolidissimum says:

Or political stuff. I imagine there is no little amount of research going into some of this.

• qixlqatl says:

“PPS: Damned if I know when regular posting will resume.”
    And just what the bloody Hades am I supposed to do for worthwhile content in the meantime? :/
    Seriously, I ‘ll see what I can kick in to get things up and going, and I’m sorry you have to deal with this.

Well, *hopefully* the technician that I’m going to bring the computer to tomorrow will be able to repair the problem, or at least pull the data off of the hard drive (all the signs point to either a bad power unit, or a bad motherboard, not a drive failure). And I’m going to be able to afford replacing the desktop. It’s just that I did that last year, and I should have spent my money on better quality then, and so I can’t really justify replacing AND getting the Kindle HDX. Repairing, sure: most of the Kindle funds were Amazon-specific anyway. Replacing, no.

So none of this is a tip-jar rattle. I just needed to vent.

• Spegen says:

I know you hate this suggestion, but, that Apple company makes some nice computers to go with those fancy iPads and iPhones.

• Luke says:

As long as you’re being pushed to adopt a new OS, it’s an internet law that someone must say something good about Linux. It’ll cost you a fraction of what an Apple will. And be just as aggravating.

• sicsemperstolidissimum says:

My official position on the OS religious wars is 8 bit MS-DOS.
        Yes, I adopted it when 16 bit Dos was old, purely because I am a jerk. (I’m too much of a wet behind the ears snot nosed brat to be able to say much about earlier generations of OS.)
        As a practical matter, I use windows/linux/apple.
        Linux live CDs are useful for certain types of IT task that are probably outside of Moe’s interests.

• Herp McDerp says:

Hey, have you considered going to Linux? ;^)

• Herp McDerp says:

As long as you’re being pushed to adopt a new OS …

IF your old system is dead AND IF you end up buying a new machine, AND IF you stick with Windows, then you might consider having the new PC’s vendor persuade Microsoft to transfer your old Windows license to the new machine rather than buying a system with a new copy of Windows on it. If they’ll do it, that should save you some money.

(N.B.: I avoid using Windows whenever possible, so I don’t know whether this is an easy or difficult thing to do. Can anyone confirm or refute? … Anyone? … Bueller?)

• Cameron says:

Depending on what you are looking for, you have contacts that can get discounts for Dell and HP.

Junior Cat recently replaced his aging non-Dell with a Dell and, so far, has been happy.

• 1_rick says:

I categorically unrecommend HP. They’re not the same company they used to be. I bought a laptop in 2010, and it lasted 8 months before it started intermittenly refusing to boot. I sent it back and it took them a month to turn it around, and within a couple days it was acting up again. Long story short, they “repaired” it three times, running the clock out on the warranty, and it died for good after 17 months of life, after supposedly having the CPU replaced twice and the motherboard replaced twice.

• Herp McDerp says:

Alas, it happens to all manufacturers’ products. I’m an Apple fan, but some years ago I had a white iBook that was a real lemon — I had to have the mainboard replaced three times before I stripped it for parts and took the remnants to the recycler. (The problem turned out to be due to a widespread manufacturing defect; sometimes Apple replaced defective boards, and sometimes Apple denied the existence of any problems.)

Dells from 2003 through 2007 or so were notorious for using shoddy capacitors that would smoke or explode and take out the motherboard. And yes, HP ain’t what it used to be, either.

In my own experience, the best-made computers (well, the laptops, at least) have been IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads.

• sicsemperstolidissimum says:

You could do what I do. Keep a lot of unsaved notepad files up, and spice things up by buying an external USB HDD and not being diligent about back ups. Then there is the really embarrassing thing.
    If it is anything other than a physical failure of the HDD, stuff can probably be recovered.

• Herp McDerp says:

Here’s a gizmo that turned out to be very useful last year when my desktop computer went Tango Uniform due to a fried motherboard:

StarTech.com SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Docking Station, for 2.5/3.5 HDD

It lets you take the SATA hard drive out of your old system and access it with another computer — such as a laptop — via USB cable. It works with both 3.5-inch and 2.5-inch drives. You just plop the bare drive into the slot on top of the box, and magic happens. It’s also useful for backups, since you can buy several bare SATA hard drives and use them (sequentially) as archival storage units.