Mar
2014

You’ve probably heard by now…

…that David Jolly has won that special election in FL-13 over Alex Sink.ย  This was one of those races where I was expecting to find out the results about now, as opposed to forty minutes after the polls closed; the folks tabulating the votes earned their corn this evening.ย  Well done, people.

As to the larger meaning… what do you want it to be? Because it pretty much could meanย  anything that you want it to mean. I’m reluctant to let this (or any other special election, really) validate anything, though; then again, I’m just happy that I don’t have to hear that silly Democratic brag anymore about how they always win special elections. Which is something that they used to say as frequently as they brag today about how they always win incumbent elections (we’re about to test that one to destruction, ya, you betcha)…

I’m so jolly that the Democratic Party of Florida was sinked tonight! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Luke says:

It doesn’t prove much of anything, but it’s a very nice early indicator. And it does disprove a few talking points.
    I’ll take it.
    But a win in a district that went for Obama by a sizable margin, especially when the Libertarian candidate pulled 5% of the votes…
    I’ve got to like our chances.
    (Well, until the Republican “leadership” and the army of campaign consultants start screwing things up. What’s the under/over on that?)

Well .. that depends on whether the insider/consultant Drew M skewers here (http://ace.mu.nu/archives/347804.php) has “friends” who will “do an intervention”.
      … by “friends”, I mean “members of the D.C. GOP who are both smarter than a hamster and not gutless”, and by “do an intervention”, I mean “lock him in a coat closet for the next 12-36 months”.

• Skip says:

You think there’s anyone in the DC GOP that disagrees?

Oh, come now. These days, “DC GOP” includes staffers for quite a few fire-breathers. Ted Cruz’s staff in particular (I know a few of ’em) hate This Town worse than *I* do, and I curse Thomas Edison’s powers of persuasion every damn day. ๐Ÿ™‚

I was looking at it as a statistics problem; assuming a standard distribution .. no, more accurate to assume a distribution skewed heavily toward the Statist mindset .. there should still be some statistical outliers.
            Your anecdotal evidence confirms my statistical hypothesis.
            Thanks, Moe!

• Luke says:

Yeah. I saw that.
        What a tool.
        In the meantime, you’ve got McConnell bragging about how he’s going to crush the TEA Party, and Boehner talking about his high priority of amnesty.
        Suddenly, I’m very depressed.

• Finrod says:

A win’s a win; that’s all the significance I’m putting into it. Game On for November.