Jun
2014

First thoughts, Harris v. Quinn, Sebelius v. Hobby Lobby.

Basically:

• ‘Constitutional law scholar,’ my white Irish middle-aged tuchis.
  • That being said, both decisions are relatively narrow. The Right was looking for grand slams; we got RBIs.
  • But remember: the people who won wanted RBIs. Harris wanted to stop getting dinged for useless union dues.  Hobby Lobby didn’t want to go out of business because the alternative was paying for drugs that they considered to be abortifacients.  They both got their wish.

And that’s it for right now.  Gotta go clean the living room.

• Darin_H says:

We got wins today. That is good.
    Like a ratchet, many small wins can turn into a later big win. The left perfected this many, many years ago, both politically and legally. It’s going to take many, many years to reverse.

• Spegen says:

Lots of libs complaining about church/state, but they have it backwards. Both of these decisions went against forcing the beliefs of the Church of Obama/liberalism on the American people.

Any honest reading of both decisions are, if not grand slams, single Home Runs for limited government. They both bloody big government, so I am happy.

• Skip says:

I think I’d have to agree that what we got was clearly at least extra base hits. And after skimming, it’s clear that there are at least a few votes to just overturn compulsory public unions. Sure, we didn’t get that ruling today, but the decision gives a roadmap on how to get it overturned.

I’m rather enjoying the rather pathetic public hissy fit currently taking place on Facebook and the various lefty blogs … it’s pathetic because it’s obvious these people have no clue how to write a sound legal argument.

• Cameron says:

Any victory is a good thing in my eyes.