Aug
2014

I’ve already reported on John Walsh being out…

…(specifically, here) but here’s a blast from the past that puts the blame on this where it belongs: squarely on the shoulders of Harry Reid.

From that Politico article:

Former Montana Lt. Gov. John Bohlinger just jumped in the Montana Senate race last week – but he says national Democrats are already trying to push him out.

Foremost among them, according to the Democratic candidate? Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.).

Bohlinger ended up losing; open question how much that was due to Harry Reid wanting a plagiarist in that Senate slot, but I’m guessing that it was at least a factor. It’d be funny if they had to go back to Bohlinger now.  Also futile, but them’s the breaks.  Do your oppo on your own people, too.  Always do your oppo on your own people.

• garfieldjl says:

I don’t think Bohlinger would support Harry Reid and other democrats if he won the seat, there’s probably quite a bit of bad blood atm.

Not sure who I want to see win, on the one hand I want us to pick up another seat. On the other hand, I’d love to see civil war among the Senate Democrats.

Oh, this is easy, Garfield. The cheer goes like this:
      In-Jur-Ies! In-Jur-Ies! In-Jur-Ies!
      I’d rather pick up the seat, mostly because if the GOP manage to pick up enough of ’em (even if some of ’em are populated by doddering old puppets (*cough* Cochran *cough*)) the Dem prospects in 2016 look .. less rosy… but also because watching Harry Reid have to decide between retiring in disgrace or watching as minority leader while Mitch “vengeful bastard” McConnell re-decorates Harry’s former offices… and uses all Harry’s procedural tricks against him .. would be quite pleasant.

• garfieldjl says:

I don’t think McConnell should pull those tricks, but I do think he should make Harry Reid suffer for pulling those stunts.

Whenever people call for him to use those tactics, he can just say that he’s got standards that he won’t stoop below even though the other side is throwing a tantrum AGAIN.

Look I know it is tempting to do the same thing that Reid did, but if we do, we’ll be legitimizing what Harry Reid did. So we should just call it for what it is (corrupt behavior), and say aren’t going to stoop to their level.

For a *small* subset of the dirty tricks, I agree .. I would have no problem, for example, with giving the minority back the filibuster … in 2018 or 2020.

• Luke says:

It’s already legitimized.
          He got away with it.
          We had the argument. We lost. Accept the new normal and play by the new rules.
          Anything else is stupid and self-destructive. (Which means the Republican Party may well embrace it.)

It’s a long-term pattern – Dems change the rules, once the GOP catches up to the change, Dems lose .. then they change the rules again.

My comments are here: http://moelane.com/2014/08/07/democrats-house-turnout/
    I’ll summarize: It’s a shame (because Walsh was good for another month or two of burning DSCC money)

• Freddie Sykes says:

Walsh may not be running but I think that he will still be on the ballot. The way I read Montana election law, the time is long past for getting on the primary ballot as a party candidate and a little bit less but still long past for getting on the general election ballot as an independent. A write in candidate won in Alaska, so I suggest spending big bucks on that.

I like that idea, Freddie .. Dems spending lots of money on a long-shot, that is.
      Means they can’t spend as much defending elsewhere, y’see.