Feb
2016

Well, yes, the GOP is obviously prepping for a possible Sanders nomination.

Hillary Clinton does still have better odds to get the nomination, but between New Hampshire and the super-delegate fix being in there’s a nontrivial chance that her election campaign will implode on its own. There’s also a nontrivial chance that she gets indicted, honestly – or that the head of the FBI ends up resigning because Hillary Clinton doesn’t get indicted, which would be almost as practically useful, from the point of view of a partisan political hack such as myself*. So, preparations will be made in case Bernie Sanders somehow gets the nomination.  Contingency planning is rarely a bad idea, after all; better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it…

*Yes, of course I want to see the woman indicted. She’s guilty as Hell.  But if the opposition decides to give me a five-pound sledgehammer instead of a ten-pound one, what am I supposed to do? Not swing it?

I hope contingency plans are, in fact, being drawn up, but .. while not hailing from Missouri, I will wait and see before believing in ’em.
    It was *painfully* obvious that John McCain’s campaign never expected to face anyone but Hillary.. and I fully expect the Dems to pull a Toricelli at DemCon.

• Mikey NTH says:

I hope and pray that the Democrat leadership tries to ram a triangle through a round hole at their convention by trying all sorts of shenanigans. With any luck they may end up alienating both Sanders’ and Clinton’s supporters.

We are well past due for a reshuffling of the political** deck ..
        I have noted elsewhere that we’re in a revolution – Noonan wrote about it, so it’s getting kind of obvious to everyone – the grass roots are not interested in the wishes of their nominal betters anymore.
        Look for strange and very strange bedfellows as this sorts itself out.
        ** why yes, you can model the current political cards (or blocs) if you want, I suggest using this tool: http://www.sjgames.com/illuminati/

• BJM says:

>– Noonan wrote about it, so it’s getting kind of obvious to everyone –
          *Snert*
          Bernie’s Millennials may stay home out of spite should she steal the nomination outright…they are not accustomed to the concept of “no”.
          Can Hillary win without the yute vote?
          -BTW here’s an excellent candidate for Trump’s Veep pick: https://youtu.be/bAP2GY1S1YU
          We have a deep bench of up and coming talent. The Dems have? *crickets*

Rest assured, the identity of Donald Trump’s hypothetical Vice Presidential pick will be a matter of utter indifference to me.

Trump isn’t my pony either, although I find him more palatable than many of this year’s other offerings…. I’d vote for Trump over Biden, but not over Vermin Supreme, if you want it dialed in a little tighter.
            That said, unless Trump picks Biden or something equally nuts, I don’t think his veep pick’ll matter much.

• BJM says:

Bear with me Moe, I hope your mood has improved today and I won’t be tapped with the ban hammer.
    This piece by Steve Salerno in the Feb Harper’s* makes as good a case as can be made for understanding Trump’s appeal.
    Would I prefer someone else? Hell, yes, Cruz would be my guy, but he’s just not electable this cycle. Given a choice between Trump and Madame Defarge, there’s no contest.
    *Unfortunately Harper’s only allows one free article a month and Lapham’s opinion piece is behind the paywall.