Aug
2017

Observation of the Day, HEED THIS WARNING edition.

Seriously: heed this.

• 1_rick says:

Duh, elections are every 4 years, and it’s been 100 since the last US total eclipse.

I’m planning ahead–I’m going to South Carolina for the eclipse, but I’m leaving Saturday night, and my hotel’s under totality.

• Luke says:

Umm….
      No. I experienced one in 1979. It just veered North into Canada fairly quickly.
      The word best describing totality is awesome. It will inspire awe.

• 1_rick says:

I went and checked–apparently the one 100 years ago was the last one where totality crossed the entire US. There’ve been several total eclipses visible from the US since, but they only crossed small portions of it, like the 1979 one.

I’m not leaving the house.
    I’m also in a pretty good location to get a bit less than a minute of dark .. so why bother?
    My only concern is the internet getting overwhelmed by people uploading photos ..

• Luke says:

Most things we experience, especially in the modern age, occur on a human scale. Even those that don’t, happen on a comprehensible scale.
      Think of it as standing in the shadow of Cthuhlu, secure in the knowledge that the worst you’ll experience is a minute of darkness and memories of something beautiful.

I get several minutes of darkness, every day .. I call them “night”.
        Look, I *get* the novelty .. it just doesn’t .. I dunno .. *move* me.

• Finrod says:

Apparently the next total solar eclipse to cross the Lower 48 is going to be in April 2024, from Louisiana to Maine.
    I’d say the parts of extreme southern Illinois and western Kentucky that are going to get totality in both are lucky, but look at where they live.

• Wombat-socho says:

Carrying water when you’re on the road in Nevada is just plain common sense. Failure to do so can be suicidally stupid.