May
2018

Movies of the Week: Conan the Barbarian/Conan the Destroyer.

Why? Largely because of this:

Now I almost have to watch the movies. Also: I’ve been quoting “ENOUGH TALK!”  from Conan the Destroyer at the gaming table for twenty years now; I should sit down and watch these movies again.  Really, I’m overdue.

• jeboyle says:

That isn’t…exactly how Robert E. Howard wrote his Conan stories (although Arnold is actually doing a pretty good King Kull)but those two films have some great scenes in them and the first movie is a classic, thanks to a great soundtrack and the genius of John Milius.

I beg your pardon; something triggered my REH rant reflex. I’ll stop now.

• nicklevi86 says:

If nothing else, they inspired works of genus such as this :
    *sings* …and hear the lamentations of the women!

• BigFire says:

re: jeboyle

Thulsa Doom is a character from Kull, and Conan himself is Howard’s retry at doing Kull afresh (Kull took place when Atlantis is still a thing, and Conan many centuries after). Hell, the Atlantean warlord whose tomb Conan stumbled into might as well be Kull.

• Finrod says:

I’ve never seen any more than small pieces of Conan the Barbarian and I never saw Conan the Destroyer. Like a lot of 1970s-1980s movies, by the time I was in a position to see them, everyone I was hanging out with had already seen them to death and didn’t want to see them again.

• Belcatar says:

The best part of Conan the Destroyer is the music. I would suggest just listening to the soundtrack instead of watching the movie.

Conan the Barbarian is a good movie. I would recommend it. It comes closer to the spirit of the source material than anything except perhaps the John Buscema Conan comics.

• Belcatar says:

I wish they’d have completed the Red Nails animated movie. That would have been superb.

• jeboyle says:

What surprises me is how many people I have met who have never actually READ a Conan story by REH, but still like Conan stories. The movies, the comics, the pastiches are all diluted and seen through a glass, but Howard’s storytelling still has the power to entertain them.