Jul
2018

I’m going to Rule that the lions here are not subject to kanly.

Normally the Rule is straightforward.

“Humans die, the animals that killed them must die.” However, in this particular case the humans had entered into a protected space in order to poach other animals.  The Rule is there to protect innocent humans via applied Darwinism; it should not be extended to protect criminals engaged in reprehensible activities.  Put another way: there was a tacit contract in place between humans and the wild animals living in this reserve.  These humans violated that contract, and they paid the price for their foolishness.  The books are balanced, and no further action need be taken.

The Trash Heap Has Spoken. Nyahhh!

PS: Hunting for needed resources is one thing.  Hunting for sport is another, slightly more complicated thing. And hunting to indulge a third party’s various fetishes is something that I am absolutely comfortable with condemning.

• jeboyle says:

Agreed.

Note that the article says “at least…”
    Hopefully, the lions scored higher than 3 in that contest.

I’m going to .. suggest .. that the hunting to extinction of third party fetishists really should be considered.

• ChrisValentine says:

It is my understanding that rhinos have the capacity to be more dangerous than lions. So, really, these guys are (were) just bad poachers. If they didn’t have the firepower to defend themselves against lions – something that our ancestors managed to do with literal stick and stones – then they just couldn’t cut it.

I’m sure the world’s other poachers are shedding any tears for them.

*Womp Womp* Thoughts and prayers for the lions. Hope they don’t get indigestion.

• Belcatar says:

Once the animals figure out how to collaborate, we’re screwed. Especially when they recruit invertebrates.

• Luke says:

Good riddance to the poachers.
    That said, animals don’t have social contracts. Animals are unclear on the concepts of wrong and evil, and do not respect boundaries.
    Once a man-killer, always a man-made.
    I’ve seen what a single coyote can do to a herd of cattle in one night. I don’t even want to think about what a pride of lions could do to nearby villages.
    Put them down.
    Do it before innocent blood gushes.

• ChrisValentine says:

A coyote versus a herd of cattle? I’m going to have to ask for some more detail there… coyotes will go after young calves, but a full grown bull or cow, even on their own? Let alone in a herd? I’m not buying it.

I grew up on a farm next to a wildlife preserve, with plenty of coyotes. They’re cowards.

• Luke says:

Seven calves in one night.
        Our neighbor had sheep. I forget what number came after 30 with respect to his lambs.
        Coyotes are cowards.
        They’re also intelligent and bloodthirsty.

• ChrisValentine says:

Calves, I’ll believe. Particularly if their mothers are inattentive or not there in the first place. But 7 calves do not make a herd.