Oct
2018

Alan Tudyk cast as Joker in new Harley Quinn animated series.

I’ll allow it: “The upcoming Harley Quinn animated series coming to the DC Universe streaming service has officially cast Alan Tudyk, known for his work on Firefly, Rogue One and more, as the voice of the Joker.”  Alan’s a good voice actor. Versatile one, too.  What I’m still not sure if I want to allow is DC’s streaming service.  I go round and round on the proliferation of streaming services; I don’t want to get twenty million different channels and I don’t want to recreate the failed cable TV model that is spawning this alternative, either*.  So I don’t know what the answer is, here.

Still, good casting call there.

*I’ll also grumble a bit and note that all of this would be much less of a problem if we weren’t routinely extending copyright out to infinity and beyond.

• Daniel Wallace says:

So Mark Hamill isn’t doing the voice of Joker anymore?

• nicklevi86 says:

Probably not for the same price as Tudyk. That StarWars Premium probably came back with a vengance. Right now, Hamil probably gets as much for a guest appearance as a (current) VO artist would make in a week.

• Jon says:

Mr Hammill has done the voice-over intermittently over the past few years, but I honestly think with the exception of TLJ (spit) he’s out of the business.

I’m expecting “streaming service” to follow pretty much the same model as every other “new tech service company” ..
    It’ll all start with homebrew and some major players in other industries dabbling (Amazon, Netflix**, YouTube) ..
    One or more pure-play services’ll start up (Hulu) …
    (WE ARE HERE)
    Several other large companies in related fields will decide they need to join the party (CBS, NBC, DC) …
    … and unless the early movers*** or the pure-play is really lucky, the field will end up dominated by whichever of the better funded johnny-come-lately services offers popular selection with good customer service. (figure 2020-2025 for this to all shake out)
    ** Netflix started as a DVD-rental-by-mail service
    *** My money is on Amazon .. because streaming video integrates disturbingly well with the rest of their portfolio, and leverages the same AWS tech layer they’ve built and are *making bucks* on.

• nicklevi86 says:

I expect the pendulum to swing back to “Net Neutrality” at some point, and we’ll be back to a heavily regulated aggregation model i.e. Cable-but-online.

Quite likely.
        At the risk of breaking Moe’s Law:
        “If it moves, regulate it ..
        If it still moves, tax it ..
        If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
        Eventually, the taxes and regulation drive the creative-dabblers to make the *next* thing.

• Jeff Weimer says:

I think you need to move the (WE ARE HERE) down one, but…seems about right on.
      Anecdotal, but since I’m a Prime and Netflix subscriber if I had to drop one (and I might), I’ll drop Netflix before I give up my sweet, sweet free 2-3 day shipping.

I debated it, but .. I figure until WalMart has one, we’re not at peak segmentation..
        Prime is part of why my money’s on Amazon. Prime gets access to a decent (although somewhat basic) library, and the option of renting other content for pretty reasonable prices, either on a computer or on a real TV (with HDMI cable and Amazon Fire TV device) .. and Amazon own the architecture behind it.

• Rockphed says:

Walmart has Vudu, which follows the same model as Amazon, just without a “pay a monthly fee to see a selection without further hassle” clause. I only know about them because we bought a DVD player from walmart that came loaded with Vudu. We use it for a few things. We got that DVD player back in 2013 or 2014.