Mar
2019

If you are one of the people Bill and Ted are thanking… explain yourself, please.

I don’t want to be rude about this, but: if Bill and Ted 3: Face the Music is your fault (as the video below suggests), you need to explain yourself.

It’s not that I think that you are a bad person for wanting a sequel. I do not, because why try to top perfection? But others may disagree. Fine. The problem here is, as I noted before, this movie as currently described violates continuity. Here, let’s see the end credits again, which wrapped up what happened next:

Dude.

• Phil Smith says:

*cough* Umm, Moe, it’s explicitly a … time travel story, which often include continuity and multiverse issues. This timeline worked out great, but what about the other ones?

That’s the thing: *the timeline is fixed*. They explicitly, in both movies, took advantage of temporal loops to gain advantage — and in the second movie they shut down the main villain when he attempted to do the same thing, because there’s only one timeline. You couldn’t do that with a multiverse, obviously. 🙂

(This is, by the way, what I call a pretzels and beer argument: I don’t really care if I win or lose, because it’s something to do while consuming the pretzels and beer.)

• Phil Smith says:

Ah, I don’t recall that.

Would it be fair, Moe, to say you’re advancing the ‘Terminator’ position? The timeline is fixed?
        Not disagreeing here, mind, just eatin’ tortilla chips cuz we’re outta gluten-free pretzels …
        It would appear you’re not arguing a particular reason why there’s not room for William S. Preston esquire and his best friend and band-mate to have some additional adventures .. just not *this* adventure.
        ::passes the chips around::

I don’t know what the Terminator position is, these days. I got confused, permanently, with T3. As for B&T3: sure, they can make a movie. I’m just not going to be thrilled to see them ignore the end of B&T2.

I mostly ignore the various “third terminator” movies .. there’s the original, the sequel, and .. a bunch of .. stuff.
            I concur, ignoring the end of Bogus Journey is not a good way to keep consistency, the sad part is that’s going to tick off enough fans to reduce the audience for what could turn out to be a good movie ..
            At least it’s unlikely to be Hot Tub Time Machine 2.

• JustDave says:

I feel like this is the same situation as the Sliders reboot. In both cases, the original was not really good enough to get too upset about a bad reboot/sequel/whatever.

And it could be worse. Did you know there have been 14 Land Before Time movies?

• jetty says:

I recall an interview long, long ago where Keanu said that they have maintained a close friendship long after Bill & Ted.

• jeboyle says:

OK, I’m not really qualified to be anyone’s Voice of Sanity but…

Bill & Ted
    Terminator(s)
    Hot Tub Time Machine (II even)
    Sliders
    THE LAND BEFORE TIME MOVIES????

Stop it.
    Just stop it right now or by GOD I will shoot this dog!