Jul
2019

Tweet of the Day, …Clever. edition.

Took me a moment, and when I did, I almost swore in front of my kid’s bus driver. And it would have been one of the elaborate swears, too. Well done, this one.

This .. is interesting .. and possibly fascinating.
    The latter depends on when (and where) education shifted to using the computer-notation rather than the older one.
    For example, when did 4 x 4 = 16 get replaced with 4 * 4 = 16 for a given educational system?

• nicklevi86 says:

By usage of the term “Maths,” I conclude that this person also drives on the wrong side of the road, insists on calling the letter Z “zed”, and so is probably full of other nonsense.

• Phil Smith says:

when the “*” got used as the multiplication function on computers would be my guess. Can’t use “x” because you need to reserve that for variables.

• Gnarledhotep says:

Ah, cute. I see what he did there.

• DemosthenesVW says:

I confess I didn’t see it at first. I went to the original tweet, hoping for context, got it almost immediately…and now my forehead has a red mark on it.
    I have since shared this with seven people.
    Two of them now hate me.

• Luke says:

Ah.
    Factorial. Right up there with imaginary numbers in the category of “why is this even taught in high school?”

• nicklevi86 says:

I was lucky enough to miss this process in school, I guess. Didn’t even realize it was a thing.
      Where is this notation intended for use in the real world?

• Gnarledhotep says:

I used it for Statistics frequently. Permutations and Combinations, IIRC (it’s been many years)

• Rockphed says:

Probability stuff, mostly. If you want the number of unique ways to put a set of objects together, factorial shows up. Normally you can divide out a bunch of numbers.

• Finrod says:

When I was in college, my calculator had a factorial button.

• jetty says:

In high school, the maximum factorial that our calculators could produce was 69! For some reason, we’d challenge each other to see which calculator would produce the fastest result. It ranked up there with pencil fights in terms of entertainment value.

• bensdad00 says:

None of these I’ve ever seen has ever even bordered on interesting. They are all full of smug, and dependent on intentionally confusioning notation to produce alternating feelings of superiority/inferiority.
    A$$holes.