Aug
2019

The “…But They LOSE” THE DARK CRYSTAL: AGE OF RESISTANCE trailer.

I cannot emphasize this enough. They LOSE. The entire species of the Gelflings will be pared down to two individuals. The Age of Resistance will fail. The Skeskis will eventually win in the end, then decay in their turn until the events of the movie.

What is the point of watching this world struggle, and die?

Don’t get me wrong: there are people looking forward to The DARK CRYSTAL: AGE OF RESISTANCE. Perhaps a lot of people, even. They are not bad people, or foolish people. But… we know how this ends! I just don’t get the appeal.

Well, at least the puppetry looks like what I remember.

• BigFire says:

This is somewhat similar to Katherine Kurtz’s Deryni series. In the first trilogy deals with the immediate death of the king and the ascension of his half Deryni son. The problem is that Deryni have long been a persecuted race and mostly exist by hiding. The second trilogy shows how and why that came to be by going 200 years prior to the first trilogy. The third trilogy resumes where the first one ended. Finally a 4th trilogy concluded the horrorshow that is the end of the second trilogy and shows how Deryni went into hiding. One standalone novel sort of tied up all of the current story arc. A final trilogy actually is a direct prequel to the first trilogy and deals with one of the primary characters’ childhood.

• jeboyle says:

Maybe it’s just too early in the morning, BigFire, but you just confused the bejesus out of me.

• Aetius451AD says:

He lost me around ‘This is somewhat similar…’

• Luke says:

Read the series. It’s good, and makes sense in context. (Although I challenge the validity of the comparison.)

• BigFire says:

Mostly with the 2nd trilogy “Legend of Saint Camber”. You read that trilogy and know that there will be 2 centuries of persecution of Deryni coming and the restoration of Haldane crown will have a very dark end.

Huh. I followed it pretty easily. Then again, I’ve extensively read the Deryni books.

• jeboyle says:

Okay, so how many Deryni books are there?

Five trilogies and a standalone? (16)

or is the last trilogy pending? (13)
          Or in progress? (13 +)

Never mind. I just checked Amazon and its 18. I lost track after the end of the 3rd trilogy where Kelson’s cousin usurps the throne.

Welp, that was an easy way to expand my reading list.

• BigFire says:

5 trilogy plus 1 stand alone.

Deryni Trilogy
            Sait Camber of Culdi
            King Kelson
            Heir of Saint Camber
            Childe Morgan

And one Stand Alone Novel published between Heir and Childe Morgan.

• junior says:

A bad ending can be well-told. And that could make something like this worth watching.

Case in point is the game Halo: Reach. You know going in that Reach is going to get destroyed by The Covenant. That was the backstory to the very first Halo game that started with the UNS Pillar of Autumn arriving at the halo having just fled from Reach.

The good stuff is found in how the increasingly desperate story is told.

Having said that, I doubt that the writers of this series will be up to the task.

• Jon says:

I believe that holders of certain political views are most eager to see this movie, at least that has been my experience among friend who are excited to see it. “Resistance” in the title is intentional.

• Towering Barbarian says:

Which still takes us back to Moe’s point: They lose.

Were I to espouse political points of view when I’m not around here (*endeavors to look innocent*), I would have no desire to see characters I associate with that view crash and burn. @[email protected]

• UnmovingGreatLibrary says:

Games Workshop, via Black Library, has been selling Horus Heresy books for almost a decade and a half (54 of them now), and everyone who cares enough to pick one up already knows how the story is going to end.