Well, it was a busy day, wasn’t it? Had to get up to get the car over to the shop, then run around getting the kids squared away on their homework before their dental appointments. Then after that we had to go back to the homework, and it took me forever to get 2,000 words in.
Still did, though. Which is good, because I got a newsletter to finish.
“Yeah, this is where I came in,” I muttered as I did a spin kick and knocked the knife out of his hand. And that really hurt, because I had forgotten the damned stitches again! But they were real eager to remind that they were there. And unhappy as hell, too. But they didn’t quite pop out, so I told myself to behave better and stop pissing ‘em off.
After this fight. The guy still on his feet was circling me, clearly trying to get some grappling and gouging in. That turned out to be pretty dumb, because Sofie pulled a bat out of her purse in one of those old gags, straight from the Lore. The nobles get all the fun toys, don’t they? And she was… pretty bad with a bat, yeah. But when you’re hitting somebody in the back of the head with your magically summoned one, just how good do you have to be?
You kind of expect little blue birds or something, again just like in the Lore. Instead, the guy went wobbly-kneed, staggered a few paces, fell down… and then Sofie smacked him with the bat again, only this time in a place where getting hit spoils the rest of your night, or maybe week. I know I’m supposed to wince in sympathy when that kind of thing happens, but I didn’t feel like it.
It’s not done. There’s art to do, more editing, and obviously playtesting. But I’ve gotten the damned thing in a state where it can be properly worked on by playtesters.
If you are interested in running a (or playing in somebody else’s) playtest of this game, let me know in comments. At the moment I already have one, maybe two groups tentatively lined up for this (my regular gaming group and maybe the backer I’ll be doing a Zoom session with), but I may run a third if I don’t get anybody willing to try this out. All I know is, a big part of the to-do spreadsheet just went from red to purple…
Spent the morning doing spreadsheets! Testing basic combat out with matched characters, unmatched characters, and weak matched characters. And a good thing that I did. As I originally had the numbers go, the raw rolls for matched characters suggested that the average combat would be ten or more combat rounds, which is absolutely too bloody long. Fortunately, fiddling with the amount of damage done solved the problem enough for playtest purposes.
Link here. It’s behind the Patreon paywall because THE FERMI RESOLUTION is what I’m working on this month. And deary, deary me but this thing is going to need playtesting next month. I’ll be making the call for volunteers for that, don’t you worry.
Had a sudden realization today: the worldbook is supposed to come with six beginning characters, and those characters are going to require a page each, because there’s art involved. And I am trying to keep the worldbook page count to 64. Which kind of means that it’s almost all done at this point, at least for the first draft. I’ll be hacking at it more tomorrow.