Feb
2013

I have to wonder whether Christopher Dorner is dead. [UPDATED]

Disappearing off of the face of the earth when the cops have mobilized across the West Coast to look for you is harder than it looks.  It would not surprise me if the guy had decided to do the murders, go somewhere where it’s hard to search for a corpse, then off himself.  If that happened, then the families that Dorner targeted would be watching over their shoulders until the corpse was found, and that could be years.

Not that I have any more than a layman’s ability to predict the actions of violent mental defectives, but I could see how this scenario might appeal to a nihilistic narcissist.

UPDATE: This is a good point.

• FishFearMe says:

Freezing to death is certainly a possibility, but I think I read somewhere (sorry, can’t remember where) that Dorner was trained in survivalist stuff. I guess time will tell.

• Free-range Oyster says:

I can’t remember where I saw it either, but someone suggested that given his service record it’s likely that he had SERE training. If that is the case, I would not bet on LAPD catching him unless it’s in the act.

• Crawford says:

Crashing at some occutard’s apartment.

• Finrod says:

Eric Robert Rudolph managed to hang out in the Appalachian Mountains for 5+ years despite being a very wanted man.

• Catseyes says:

Or ran across a cougar or lynx he didn’t realize was there until to late. Having surprised a lynx before I know it’s a lot easier to do than most people know and it generally happens late at night when they are moving around.

• Spegen says:

At the rate he is going, he will be a martyr on the left within a couple years

• Luke says:

Our species has survived two ice ages.
    It doesn’t take much preparation for us to survive freezing conditions for extended periods of time.
    That said, I figure it’s a red herring. They would have eventually have tracked the truck. Much better to ditch it, and steal a succession of cars. It’s not like punching a column is difficult, and as a beat cop, the phenomenon wouldn’t be unfamiliar to him.