Layla (Album Version), Derek & The Dominos

It was always about the first twenty five seconds for me, really.

• PubliusNV says:

You’re pretty much right. But still, 1972, stoned out, laying on the floor of my dorm room, listening on what was then a really high end stereo, it didn’t get any better.

• Just Dave says:

I like the instrumental part where the piano comes in, ~3:10 or so. But yeah, it definitely could stand to be edited down by half or so.

I was going to link to something by Blind Faith, but then came across something I like better: Traffic, The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys (NTTAWWT):

• PubliusNV says:

Just Dave, yeah Traffic, especially that album, was one of my favorites back then.

• PubliusNV says:

Unfortunately this also always reminds me of the accident that took Duane Allman’s life.

• lourae says:

The ache in his voice. Scorsese’s docu on Harrison, it just broke his heart twice. But somehow, he forgave them both, and seemed a much happier fellow.
    And my daughter rolls eyes when I say they don’t have that in pop music. Allman’s ‘Melissa’ another great example.

• countrydoc says:

“It was always about the first twenty five seconds for me, really.” Just 25 seconds is all it takes for you? Really? Ah, well…umm…perhaps you should see your doctor.

• Darin H says:

Love this so much more than the Unplugged version.

• NotSoBlueStater says:

I confess to love the whole 7:03. I’m not done until the bird tweets (Duane’s slide).

That said, some of the slide stuff in the instrumental part is a little rough.

Great pop music leaps off the vinyl. This as great pop music.

• Wombat-socho says:

The acoustic version of this is an abomination unto the Lord.

Site by Neil Stevens | Theme by