Oct
2012

New Movie Trailer: “Parker.”

It might not suck.

Admittedly, it looks a bit like Payback; but then, Payback didn’t suck, either*.

*Which was helped by having Lucy Liu in it.  Apropos of nothing, it’s a shame that SM Stirling never sold the rights to the Islander trilogy to Hollywood; she would have made a great Alice Hong.

• Rob Crawford says:

Stirling didn’t sell the rights? Then what’s with the lame TV version of “Dies the Fire”?
    (That’s all I’ll say about “Revolution”. What a sad, sorry excuse for writing.)

• Kenneth Hite says:

The similarity to Payback shouldn’t surprise anyone; they’re both based on Richard Stark novels. (This one on Flashfire, IIRC.)

But if you liked Payback (which I suppose is possible), then run don’t walk to see the vastly better version of the same movie, John Boorman’s Point Blank, starring Lee Marvin.

• Jeff says:

I just recently started reading the first few Parker novels and they are quite good.

This looks a Stathamized Parker, but that is not bad, not bad at all.

• MikeCG says:

I like Payback a good deal. I apologize for nothing.

• Murgatroyd says:

… it’s a shame that SM Stirling never sold the rights to the Islander trilogy to Hollywood …

Do you know that? An SF author friend has had options on several of his novels for years — one of them for decades in fact. They’ve all remained in Development Hell.

Of course, with some SF novels that’s for the best, since Hollywood could only frak them up.
    *cough* Stranger in a Strange Land *cough*

• DanB says:

Oh, Lord, I’m going to pay actual REAL money to see a movie that has J-Lo in it. I feel.. conflicted. Like when we used to climb the rope in gym class.

• BigFire says:

This does look like a Stathamized Parker, and for the first time, Parker will be call Parker in film adaptation. For some reason, Parker was always call something else in the films. Walker in Point Blank (the first filmed version of The Hunter). Payback is the second English adaptation, and he’s named Porter. Not for nothing, Parker is most likely just another handle by this professional thief.