Jan
2013

The Kvetch About moelane.com ‘s Format open thread.

Feel free to note if there’s anything technical that you’d like to see different about the site.  It’ll probably get cheerfully ignored if it’s too hard to fix, but… what?  That’s how it usually works.  I’m just being honest.  Because I care.

Sheesh.

Not that specifically, but I thought that I could ask the readership what they were liking/not liking. A smart parasite (i.e., me) does not damage his host.

One thing that’s always bugged me .. the artwork in the background is obliterated/swamped by the text.
        Don’t *change* the art, I like it. It looks like part of a larger piece, one I don’t recognize but .. I feel like I should.
        Other than that, the screen layout needs a little tweak or two.. Maybe it’s just my browser/screen resolution (chrome, 1280/800) but .. it’s like watching a standard-format movie on a widescreen-capable screen.
        The newsmax/twinkies/ads column needlessly overlaps the background art, leaving a huge black bar to the right empty, the articles and comments leave another empty bar to the left.
        Seems to me the visual appeal would benefit from anchoring the art all the way to the left instead of centered, and sliding the newsmax/twinkies/ads column all the way to the right.
        Then, to improve ad revenue, switch it every so often. (hint: grocery stores do change where products are stocked .. because people make impulse purchases while they’re trying to find where the canned peas are hiding… your ads drop into my web-blind-spot after a while, and that’s not good)

• Neil Stevens says:

Forgot to add: if so, I like.

• Spegen says:

1) reformatting the page would help, agree that it looks like an old show on wide screen
    2) fix the comments so we don have to put dots between thoughts
    3) a permanent page with lists of books and movies that you recommended, I don’t have a lot of time to read so when I get to, I can’t remember which one you talked about
    4) online gaming?

I think, Spegen, online gaming could run into trouble .. but http://www.sweasel.com's Dead Pool doesn’t …
      Maybe Moe could come up with a suitably similar Moe-specific thing to offer, and Moe-specific thing to wager on. “Washington Nutjob Pool” …?

• Doc Holliday says:

my bete noir

Is the retweets that make it look like there are a bunch of comments in a thread, when that is not the case. Also, the retweets make if difficult to converse imho.

Disclaimer, I don’t tweet, so I am biased. I am sure the retweets are a great thing in that they spread Moe’s beautiful words, but if they could somehow be segregated from comments, that would a help I think.

• Luke says:

I just want to know how to give myself an avatar. I’m feeling left out.