Fortunately, it wasn’t weaponized chlorine gas,* so it doesn’t look like anybody died.
Nineteen people were hospitalized early Sunday after an intentional chlorine leak at the Hyatt Regency O’Hare during the 2014 Midwest FurFest, public safety officials said.
The leak, reported at about 12:45 a.m. Sunday, caused a complete evacuation of the hotel at 9300 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue. The hotel was hosting the Midwest FurFest convention. Attendees dress up like furry animals and celebrate art, literature and performance based on anthropomorphic animals, according to the convention’s website.
Fortunately for my faith in humanity, there have been fewer examples of slack-jawed yahooism masquerading as wit in the various comments to this story than I expected. Which is good, because the ones that I have seen give me a powerful urge to clip people around the ear. Poison gas attacks are foul.
*Looks like somebody took powdered chlorine and released it in an area where the fumes could build up. So at least it’s not a foreign terrorist attack.