Jan
2013

I’m…. with the President on this one, actually.

(Via Hot Air Headlines) I’m as shocked as you are, honestly.

Football’s first fan isn’t sure he’d let his son play the game, in light of the impact it takes on its players.

“I’m a big football fan, but I have to tell you, if I had a son, I’d have to think long and hard before I let him play football,” President Barack Obama tells The New Republic.

I have two sons, and in light of recent research I am going to think long and hard before I let them play football. I find the spate of recent wrap-your-kids-in-gauze policies that our culture glories in to be essentially silly, but I am not going to pretend that regularly getting hit on the head cannot have long-term consequences simply because liberals tend to be the ones pushing out contrary-evidence research findings.  Especially since these are my kids that we’re talking about; if I don’t think that something’s safe for them, then it’s not and the subject’s closed.

Then again, I’d rather watch hockey than football anyway.

PS: To clarify, I’m not saying Change the sport.  I’m saying I don’t think that I want my kids playing the sport unless it changes.

• Spegen says:

As a fellow hockey fan, its not much safer on the noggin. See one Sidney Crosby as evidence

• Cameron says:

Swimming. Much better for active boys and a more thorough workout.

Junior Cat played football for a couple years, on the line.
    As far as I can tell, the only thing he got out of it was a higher pain threshold. I was concerned, but statistically, it’s not nearly as unsafe as cheerleading….

• Finrod says:

The biggest danger playing football right now is concussions. Fortunately a lot of advances have been made in helmet technology, but they haven’t necessarily been widely adopted yet. So if your kid wants to play football, make sure they get a 21st century helmet, not a 20th.

If the football changes anymore, then it would no longer be football. I’m with Ed Morrissey on this one, bring back the leather helmets. It will end the “battering rams” and make the game a lot more interesting.

• dan.irving says:

The youngest does the swim team thing. When she gets a little older I’ll be taking her to the range in the hopes that by the time she is 14-15 she’ll be able to plink targets at 300M and field strip an AR.

• nighttwister says:

Baseball. How can you go wrong with America’s Pastime?

• Doc Holliday says:

Play golf, watch football. That is what old white guys are supposed to do.