Jul
2013

Helen Thomas is dead.

She passed away… today, apparently.

[pause]

What’s a good food for getting over a cold? I seem to be somewhat recovered, but not fully.

• DemosthenesVW says:

Chicken soup. With matzah balls.

• Lady Penguin says:

What DemosthenesVW said. Oh, and maybe a little brandy for a hot toddy – in case you feel like the celebrating. 🙂

• Brian Swisher says:

I like spicy food – chili or hot-and-sour soup…

I like a good bowl of spicy chili. Yes, I was raised by a Texan woman in my middle/high school years.

• xander-drax says:

Are they SURE? It can be hard to tell with her.

• Phil Smith says:

Pho. It’s a panacea.

I notice a lot of soups above, I recommend a good bone broth, either in the form of a boiled chicken carcass (chicken soup) or beef bones (common in Pho) for the mineral content, and as spicy as you can tolerate.
    p.s. I can’t say anything nice so am going to try piercing my tongue instead.

• qixlqatl says:

My sympathies on your cold. Getting over … something or other myself.

• KnittingPC says:

Push fluids, the soups are all good; supplement with Vitamin C up to 1000mg a day; and stay away from simple carbs and sugars, as they contribute to increased mucus production (packed sinuses, runny nose, gunky cough….you get the picture!) which I am sure you would prefer to minimize….:)

As to the other, I thought petrification had occurred some time ago….has anyone carbon dated her yet?

• Freddie Sykes says:

My theory on vitamin C is that it does not cure disease but makes your body chemistry unfriendly to beasties. The less comfortable the germs, the better able your body is capable of fending them off.

• Catseyes says:

Prefer Ham based soups and broths myself try a ham bone with a pound or so of meat still on it a couple of large onions and some celery and parsley. I like some potatoes in it. The recipe is the basis for everything from corn chowder to sauerkraut soup. For Heart soup you add a beef shank along with the ham bone it will make the meats taste alike, but the two types of broth mix well together.
    As an aside after my wife’s first neurosurgery this year she was making her corn chowder, she forgot the corn but the resulting soup with just ham, potatoes, onions, celery and parsley was so good I had two bowls before I told her it killed what was left of my cold.

• Kenneth Hite says:

My go-to cold-crusher is my tom yum soup. Heat, chicken, citrus, alliums, lycopene — it’s got it all!

• Doc Holliday says:

chicken noodle soup, orange wedges, grilled cheese, ginger ale.