Mickey Kaus has a Journolist thread.

[UPDATE] Welcome, Instapundit and Hot Air Ace of Spades HQ [sorry!] readers. I’m tempted to use this to tout something of mine, but a colleague needs the help more right now.

Mickey Kaus has published a Journolist thread.  One that is chock-full of precisely the sort of frank opinions and observations that will abruptly come to an end in all future Journolist threads.

Three thoughts:

1. If Mickey has a Journolist thread, he may very well have several Journolist threads.  After all, betrayal really only hurts the first time.
  2. When the Journolist members sit down to contemplate who has embarrassed them in such a fashion, they may want to spare some disapproval for Spencer Ackerman, who started this war.
  3. Building off of #2: don’t fuck with Mickey Kaus.

Crossposted to RedState.

• […] to Moe Lane. SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title:’Mickey Kaus has a Journolist thread.’, summary:'[Erick’s covering […]

• JorgXMcKie says:

It’s actually pretty funny. The whole thread reads like the HS chess club bitching about the jocks and attempting to re-assert their own values by staging a Star Wars trivia contest.

That Alterman certainly is jealous of his ‘standing’ as a ‘public intellectual’, isn’t he? What a wuss.

• […] Item number three on this list by Moe Lane is a given. (Found via Glenn Reynolds; further thoughts from Ace, who writes, “Like many […]

• jms says:

Hilarious. Well, that answers the question; how do these guys behave when they think they are alone. Answer — like children.

• motionview says:

That thread is very interesting, not the least reason being the discussion of Michael Savage. I have always thought his entire career was one continuous piece of performance art. When living in SF, there were very few non-leftist stations, and I would occasionally tune in to Savage. I heard him say on more than one occasion “Some DJs are just in this for a buck – you would be surprised to know what they really believe”. I’m sure he was being self-referential.

And, Mickey Kaus rules.

• Mike G says:

And here I thought chitchatting with Eric Alterman, Matthew Yglesias, Spencer Ackerman etc. all day was going to be sooooo cool.

• JEM says:

Y’know, I’m on a lot of ‘net mailing lists, and I run a few.

That inane waste of bandwidth is something to which a number of purported professionals felt necessary to contribute, in some cases repeatedly?

• Hedda Hopper says:

Well, I’m feeling a good deal less embarrassed, now.

• Daver says:

Modern journalism is one big Liberal circle jerk. What a huge surprise that is.

• Jay Currie says:

Yup, they are bores…but, you know, kinda “creative class” bores.

Meanwhile, and much more to the point, is your background image from the cover of the “Its a Beautiful Day” album?

Not unless they’re Maxfield Parrish fans, too. Interestingly, Parrish put most of his stuff – including this one, to the best of my knowledge – in the public domain, which is why you see a lot of it (well, that and the fact that he was good).

• Pink Pig says:

I’m not sure it is actually possible to betray a group that you are not a member of — not that no one has tried it, of course. They made a hero of Daniel Ellsberg for something that comes much closer to the definition of betrayal.

I don’t much care where this came from, or what motivated Mickey Kaus. The pathetic groupieness exhibited by the bloviators at JournoList speaks for itself.

• Adjoran says:

The secrecy is telling.

The existence of the “Journolist” is hardly surprising. Hey, all those “news” items spouting Democratic talking points don’t just grow on trees, ya know!

• Micha Elyi says:

I don’t know about JorgXMcKie’s HS chess club days but in the one I participated in, we players didn’t give away free rent in our heads to our school’s jocks. We just concentrated on our practice games held during lunchtime and worried about holding our own in the next cross-town HS chess tournament.

“Winning isn’t everything. It’s the only thing.”
    — Vince Lombardi, chess coach

(I hear he also kept company with jocks sometimes.)

• Mars vs Hollywood says:

I’m not sure I understand the point of the list.

I mean, does anyone really need a secret exclusive e-mail treehouse to know that Eric Alterman is a pompous, vindictive twit?

• Eli says:

The funniest thing about Journolist is that they won’t have the sense to be embarrassed about this.
    What is sounds like to be is a bunch of 14 year old girls texting each other wildly about somebody’s boyfriend.
    I have two teenage daughters, I know.

• […] in the secret “Jourolist” By datechguy Kaus gets the thread, Glenn and Mark and Moe (the new stooges?) provide the snark but Jonah has the best description: I think that excerpt […]

• TRO says:

“From: Jonathan Chait Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:39:45 -0700 (PDT) Local: Tues, Mar 24 2009 3:39 pm Subject: Re: BREAKING: Marty Peretz is a Crazy-Ass Racist Yes, your posts have more of a prison quality to them. I find it
    preferable, though still well short of ideal.
    On Mar 24, 3:35 pm, Brad DeLong wrote: Z”

What the hell is a “prison quality” post and how does he know about them?

• It has a Screwtape/Wormwood feel to it. Several of them seem to be about to suddenly turn into giant caterpillars.

• […] For a short time before hitting the hay last night (I grew up in a barn), I was involved in a Twitter discussion with some other folks (most of whose names I am omitting to protect their identities) about the JournoList revelations of Mickey Kaus.  Most folks seemed to think that they were side-splittingly funny, and our own Sarah W. actually hit upon the Heathers formulation before Jonah did, I think–whether from incidental convergence or meme propagation, I can’t be sure.  Certainly the bits that Kaus chose to share didn’t show much in the way of actual collusion with MSM types to frame issue and regulate memes on the issues, and the whole enterprise comes across as farcical. […]

• Fred Ralista says:

I wonder if you captured the IPs, if they’d show Starbucks-to-Starbucks transmissions.

• Eric Blair says:

Ackerman is fucking poseur. “Punk Rock”? I laugh and laugh

• furious says:

HS Chess Club? Please, the dweebiest high school chess club in America has Cool and Talent in spades over these Journotwits.

At least the Chess Clubbers can, you know, play chess. And will probably go on to greater challenges than a Journalism degree.

• Mike G says:

“What the hell is a “prison quality” post”

He means you’re a thug, Brad.

• David Ross says:

Fred: If a journ-o-list’er sent a message from any coffee-house chain, let alone Starbucks, it may well be grounds for a deleted account. (Well, okay, I could see Chait maybe setting foot in one, but only to “keep in touch with normal folks” you understand.)

I am afraid that for the likes of Pollitt it’s fair-trade and organic coffee only. BECAUSE OF THE AUTHENTICITY!

• David Ross says:

(And yes, the Journ-O-List thread was a hoot. More please!)

• BH says:

**From: Isaac Chotiner Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:55:59 -0400 Local: Tues, Mar 24 2009 2:55 pm Subject: Re: [JournoList] Re: BREAKING: Marty Peretz is a Crazy-Ass Racist A friend of mine who works for Pelosi and has been active in California politics for a long time claims that Savage’s bizarre, racist, homophobic schtick is a complete act. He knows Savage a bit–or at least did when Savage started his show. This obviously does not excuse it in any way, but for Savage listeners it is interesting to think about.**

There’s an obvious irony to this post that not only eludes the author, but the audience. These people are caricature of themselves.

• At my own site, I give Jorg credit for winning this thread.

• […] Olbermann to listen to him talk about the moles. Hersh never believed any of those lies that the sinister-weasels said about Olbermann, by the way: he knows that Olbermann’s Magic Piece of Paper is […]

Site by Neil Stevens | Theme by