I’m slagged and I need to hit the sack, but… ooh.
I do not see how this could possibly end badly for the …can we call him ’embattled,’ yet? Yes, let’s! …embattled New Jersey Democrat*.
A federal grand jury in Miami is investigating Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), examining his role in advocating for the business interests of a wealthy donor and friend, according to three people aware of the probe.
Menendez has intervened in matters affecting the financial interests of Florida ophthalmologist Salomon Melgen, seeking to apply pressure on the Dominican government to honor a contract with Melgen’s port security company, documents and interviews show. Also, Menendez’s office has acknowledged he interceded with federal health-care officials after they said that Melgen had overbilled the U.S. government for care at his clinic.
Melgen has provided Menendez with plane flights and hospitality at his Dominican vacation home, say people acquainted with their relationship.
- Yes, in fact: there was trafficking in human organs involved. At least one individual has been brought up on charges of attempting to sell a liver.
- The list of individuals and charges can be found here: we’re looking at conspiracy to commit extortion, money laundering, and again, at least one charge in trafficking in human organs. There are at least two Republicans on the list; but the Hudson County Democratic Party organizational chart is probably going to end up looking like there was a sudden outbreak of the bubonic plague.
- There is currently no indication that Governor Corzine was aware that numerous Democratic officials were allegedly involved in any conspiracy to commit extortion, money laundering, and/or trafficking in human organs. He apparently missed it completely.
- The FBI raided Community Affairs Commissioner (and NJ Cabinet member) Joseph Doria’s office, presumably in relation to their investigation of conspiracy to commit extortion, money laundering, and/or trafficking in human organs charges; Doria has resigned.
- Gubernatorial candidate Chris Christie (R) is also involved in this up to his eyeballs; in the sense that he was the one that started the investigation two years ago as a… I believe the term is, ‘crusading US Attorney.’
- An attempt to get a statement from Senator Robert Menendez (D, NJ), Hudson County Democrat and chairman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, was unsuccessful. There has been no press release and/or statement made at the time that this post was written.
And that’s how it stands at the moment.
Crossposted to RedState.
Or so it seems. We’re having difficulty keeping up.
UPDATE: OK, more information:
The mayors of Hoboken and Secaucus, a state assemblyman and dozens of others were rounded up early Thursday as the F.B.I. swept across four counties in New Jersey as part of a two-year corruption and money-laundering investigation that ranged from the Jersey Shore to Brooklyn and has even reached into the State House in Trenton.
Agents raided the home of Joseph V. Doria Jr., commissioner of the state Department of Community Affairs, who also is the former mayor of Bayonne, an official confirmed Thursday morning.
Among the roughly 30 people arrested by mid-morning were Hoboken Mayor Peter J. Cammarano III and Secaucus Mayor Dennis Elwell, both Democrats, and Assemblyman Daniel M. Van Pelt, a Republican from Forked River, in Ocean County. Mr. Cammarano, who turned 32 on Wednesday, was elected mayor June 9 and sworn in July 1, after serving as councilman-at-large since 2005.
I’ve done a spreadsheet of the people named so far – and let me note: there’s something fun about a story where you need to do a spreadsheet in order to keep up with this sort of thing.
|Peter Cammarano||Mayor of Hoboken||Yes|
|Dennis Elwell||Mayor of Secaucus||Yes|
|Leona Beldini||Dep Mayor of Jersey City||Yes|
|Mariano Vega||Council President, Jersey City||Yes|
|La Vern Webb-Washington||Council Candidate, Jersey City||Yes*|
|Michael Manzo||Fire Department, Jersey City||No**|
|Daniel Van Pelt||New Jersey Assemblyman||No|
|*Ran as independent.|
|**Ran as independent.|
There’s going to be a press conference at noon, and it should be riveting.
PS: You know who else is from Hudson County? Senator Robert Menendez.
Crossposted to RedState.